Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Orerak Bakery 오르랔 베이커리 (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★☆☆☆

After a quick visit to Under Stand Avenue and Seoul Forest Park, we took the metro back to Apgujeong Rodeo Station. There was a decision to be made on whether we hop over to Anguk (安國) as planned but Jelloman had another idea in mind. She wanted a fast and furious couple of hours in Sinsa to make up for the missed opportunity last night (with little nugget falling ill). She then made a head-scratching move by insisting that we walk all the way from Apgujeong Rodeo to Sinsa (instead of say, taking a cab). I didn't want to spoil her good mood for a long walk so I opted to go along with the master plan. By the time we actually arrived in Sinsa, it was almost an hour later (we made a few stops in the middle) leaving us with just an hour before dinner time.

At this point, we all decided that we should spend our limited time in Sinsa wisely so we split up into two teams. Those who wanted to do shopping followed Jelloman and for me, I got all the time in the world just for myself.



My first stop was 
Orerak Bakery (오르랔 베이커리), a small bakery shop across the street from the legendary b. Patisserie, best known for their different flavors of cruffin.



Apart from their cruffins, they also have a small selection of cup cakes, muffins and danish available. But of course, I was only interested in their hybrid pastry of muffin and croissant. The only question remained, should I grab one and have it at this dine-in area here?



Orerak's cruffin flavors included their signature earl grey (sold out), choco, lemon and strawberry but I ended up getting this custard cream flavored one.


They have meat pies here too. Perhaps next time.


My server asked if I'll be having my custard cream cruffin soon. When I nodded, he promptly gave me this cup to put my cruffin on top. Smart....


I finally found a place to enjoy my cruffin. Looks more like muffin from this angle.


I thought the puff pastry wasn't at its best. It didn't have that perfectly layered, flaky texture to it. And that's not really custard cream in the middle. It tasted more like a light whipped cream which wasn't a very good match with the pastry.


My server didn't speak very good English; that added to the trouble a bit. But all and all, not a very good-looking cruffin and it didn't taste right. End of story.





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: ₩₩₩
Address: 39 Apgujeong-ro 14-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Sinsa
Tel: +82 0507-1397-8227
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 8:00pm (Tue - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think