Sunday, December 17, 2023

Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel Harbour City 當文歷餅店 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

With us leaving town in less than a week, there's very little chance that we could order something from Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel (當文歷餅店) for the celebration of Christmas this year (like the pecan pie last year).



But there's something little nugget and I have been waiting to check off our list, their 
Muscat grape jelly cake. And I don't think we have to wait until Christmas for that.



Muscat grape jelly (香印提子啫喱豆) – I was just talking to my server at Dang Wen Li about their "plastic protector" that they have now for shielding the pastry in the box so it won't fall out of place like they always do. I don't know what it is but other cake shops don't seem to have the same issue.

But turns out they don't have a protector that fits the mold of this pastry. And it took a tumble and flipped over. I tried my best to re-create its former presentation but I couldn't get it back to 90%.

Anyways, this is a mix of muscat grape jelly, coconut mousse, coconut feuilletine, pandan sponge and 66% dark chocolate. I love the cute presentation but it's really just a large chunk of muscat grape jelly sitting on a soft coconut mousse with a dark chocolate coating. The texture was silky smooth but pretty one-dimensional and the flavors, well there was some acidity from the muscat grape but it wasn't entirely meshing well with the sweetness of the coconut. All in all, it's a borderline fail for me.



I am surprised they can't seem to figure out a way to make their pastries sit. I am pretty sure I didn't make a wild move with my box of pastries on my way back home so......




Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OT G63A, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-8618
Website: www.dangwenli.com
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 8:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think