Friday, December 22, 2023

Cheesecake Johann (Tokyo, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

After lunch, I followed my original plan and was supposedly heading down to Nakameguro (中目黒) but I was too busy with my phone and accidentally taken the wrong train. When I finally realized my mishap, I was already outside Meguro (目黒) station. 

Cheesecake Johann Nakameguro [Tokyo, JAPAN] - One of the best cheesecakes in Tokyo?

Anyways, I thought I could use some extra exercise so I walked all the way back to Nakameguro where I checked out a few things including the I'm Donut? branch at the book store and not surprisingly, everything was all sold out. A couple of stops later, here I was at Cheesecake Johann.

Cheesecake Johann Nakameguro [Tokyo, JAPAN] - One of the best cheesecakes in Tokyo?

Touted as one of the best cheesecake shops in Tokyo, Cheesecake Johann is an itch that I have been waiting to scratch for many years. Ironically, last time I was here, it was also a few days before Christmas and the famed dessert shop was unexpectedly closed for the holidays leaving me a little pissed. This time around, I had to make sure that I paid them an early visit.

It was 4:15pm already after my little adventure so most of their best sellers were already sold out. The two flavors of cheesecake left were chocolate and sour cream.

Cheesecake Johann Nakameguro [Tokyo, JAPAN] - One of the best cheesecakes in Tokyo?

Sour cream cheesecake (480yen) 
– A very very small slice of cheesecake. I decided to enjoy it right next to the Meguro River. It's one of my favorite spots for admiring cherry blossoms in Tokyo.

This was one of those classic cheesecakes with a graham cracker crust. The portion was very small, a mere three to four bites at best. Was it worth a place in the conversation as the best cheesecakes in Tokyo? Hm.....I have to say no. I thought its texture did give me a feeling like having a piece of cheese but yet the flavors weren't really cheesy enough. 

Cheesecake Johann Nakameguro [Tokyo, JAPAN] - One of the best cheesecakes in Tokyo?

I decided to take a slow and deliberate walk around this quiet neighborhood. 




Another place I always enjoy spending time in Nakameguro is its Meguro Ginza Shotengai (目黒銀座商店街). It is a traditional shopping street full of cafes, bistros and boutique shops.


As the sun has already set, it was time to move onto my next destination and it's one that I have been looking forward to visiting, the brand-new Azabudai Hills (麻布台之丘).




Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: ¥¥¥¥
Address: 1-18-15 Kamimeguro, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-0051, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Nakameguro
Tel: +81 3-3793-3503
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 6:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think