Saturday, December 9, 2023

Kam Wah Café 金華冰廳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

It's been a week since the construction work started at mom's place and I was eager to check out the progress first hand. So right after I dropped little nugget off at his school, I decided to venture over to my childhood home for a quick look.

Before I actually arrive at mom's place, I stopped by Kam Wah Café (金華冰廳) to get a few egg tarts for mom and the workers.


Kam Wah, who has been in business for over 50 years, is one of Prince Edward’s oldest stalwart when it comes to local bing sutt. Thanks to their signature pineapple buns and egg tarts, the restaurant is often seen with huge lineups full of tourists and locals alike.  


Their egg tarts in particular have often been regarded as one of the "10 Best egg tarts in Hong Kong" by numerous online magazines. I am not really a fan of egg tarts with cookie crust but I am happy to give this a shot.


Mission completed...


I heard they were very picky in choosing the right ingredients like Korean flour, Hubei eggs and lard for this pastry crust egg tart. I thought the egg custard was fine but the crust just wasn't nearly flaky enough for me. I guess there will be no return trip after all.


Well, it was nice to see that the renovation work was almost completely done. With a little more than a week to go before we leave for Tokyo, mom was super worried about this not finishing in time but it looks like there will be no delay.




Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 47 Bute Street, Prince Edward, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Prince Edward
Tel: +852 2392-6830
Opening Hours: 6:30am - 11:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think