Sunday, December 25, 2022

Shibaitaroka しばいたろか!! (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

I thought it was a bad idea lining up for Japanese soufflé pancakes on Christmas day but Jelloman insisted we should do it so here we are standing in front of A Happy Pancake Shinsaibashi just before noon time. As it looks like the wait would take at least an hour, I decided to go and grab some snacks for everyone, and I'm bringing little nugget along with me.


We still haven't had any takoyaki, one of Osaka's most beloved snacks so it's the perfect time to get some.



This place called Shibaitaroka しばいたろか!!, which 
loosely translates into "I'll kill (hurt) you..." in Osaka dialect. I am guessing that they mean they will kill or hurt us with their delicious taro balls!



Little nugget was very interested to see how takoyaki was made.


At last......!!!!


This guy couldn't wait to get a lick on these taro balls...


These came with the usual toppings of bonito flakes and mayo, and we also got a choice between ponzu sauce, soy sauce or salt to go with them. My first choice would have been the gluey soy sauce which are both sweet and savory. But for the first batch, I decided to have them without the additional seasoning. 


I had a quick chat with the chef here who told me that the locals love to have takoyaki with a simple sprinkle of salt. So for the second batch, I thought we should eat like the locals! 


From what we have experienced so far this morning, these tako balls do taste a little better with salt. 





Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ¥¥
Address: 1-16-16 Nishishinsaibashi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 542-0086 Japan
Closest Metro Station: Shinsaibashi



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think