Tuesday, December 27, 2022

MIXup at W Hotel Osaka (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

Time is running out for me to check out a number of dessert places in Osaka with just a couple of days left on our trip, one of which is MIXup at W Hotel Osaka only a few blocks from where we are staying. MIXup has been on my radar since I started planning out my trip nearly six months ago. In fact, I've gone as far to book a table at their dessert bar via Tablecheck but only to make a last-minute cancellation due to the cafe's limited menu in December (only a set with a mix of sweet and savory dishes is offered in December). Sensing some urgency in my tight schedule, I decided to wake up a little early this morning to check this one off my list.



The good thing was that MIXup opens early at 10am for breakfast so I was able to swing by for some take-away desserts just before we go out for lunch. 



I would love to sit at these counter tables to watch the pastry chefs work behind the scene. Too bad, we didn't have the time for it (not that they have their dessert bar opened for Christmas anyways).



Very good vibes around here.



At breakfast time, there were only four pastries available for take-away order. Check that, only the two on the right were made available for customers. The other two, I presume, were reserved for lunch or afternoon tea session?



Chocolate mousse cake 
– Hidden behind the chocolate chips was a thick layer of rich chocolate mousse which was sitting on a chocolate sponge base (like a brownie). There was a small portion of orange curd in the middle of the cake to provide some acidity into the mix. This was OK but I expected more from a dessert shop housed inside trendy W Hotel Osaka.



Strawberry shortcake 
– A strawberry shortcake with mixed berries on top and everything was hidden inside the strawberry flavored chocolate cylinder. Again, not much surprises there.



Service was top notch, which was totally expected from a 5-star hotel. It's a shame that they didn't have the dessert menu to match. 







Food Rating: 5/10
Price: ¥¥¥¥
Address: 1F W Hotel Osaka, 4-1-3 Minamisenba, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 542-0081 Japan
Closest Metro Station: Shinsaibashi
Tel: +81 (0)6 6484-5812
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 6:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think