Thursday, December 29, 2022

Denny's Nagai Park (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★☆☆☆

Growing up in Vancouver, Denny's was a family restaurant that I frequented with my friends. Heck, I even had a Denny's just a stone's throw from our first home in the city. That formed a very special tie between me and this franchise forever.

Ever since I left Vancouver more than a decade ago, I've been trying my best to make a return trip to a Denny's whenever I can. Tonight, I had that chance in Osaka again. 



This branch of Denny's near Nagai Park (長居公園), however, didn't remind me of the American diner that I grew up with at all. It's more of a fast-food joint with a localized food menu. 



Little nugget didn't really care cuz he has just made a new friend.



Raw ham salad 
– Some veggies to stay healthy after all the meat we had this afternoon. The paper-thin pancetta more for decorative purpose, I assume?



Spaghetti carbonara – Mom had pretty good comments about her carbonara despite its small size. 



Chinese noodles 
– Little nugget had a bowl of Chinese-style soy sauce ramen.



Not bad, he said.



Cheese curry with fried shrimp & potato croquette 
– Jelloman had the most sophisticated dish of the evening featuring a deep-fried shrimp, potato croquette and cheese all "stapled" together on top of a pool of steamed rice and Japanese-style curry sauce.



American clubhouse sandwich 
– For me, I decided to go down memory lane and had a clubhouse sandwich, the same dish I had when I visited Denny's for the first time. This tasted exactly like it did decades ago. OK, I forgot how it tasted already but it was good to have it again after so long.



Chestnut tiramisu 
– Time to have some in-season chestnut for dessert. Mom and I split a chestnut tiramisu between us two. And I have to admit, it tasted a little weird.



Tonight's experience definitely wasn't the best from what I remembered from Denny's. Especially without pancakes, hash browns and frosty milkshakes on the menu, it's never going to the same.





Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: ¥¥
Address: 2-2-23 Nagaihigashi, Sumiyoshi-ku, Osaka, 558-0004 Japan
Closest Metro Station: Nagai
Tel: +81 80 3258-1943
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 9:00pm daily 



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think