Sunday, December 25, 2022

Patisserie Gokan Takashimaya Osaka 五感高島屋大阪店 (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

Finishing up our day in Namba, I have just one more place to check off my list – the food hall in the basement of Takashimaya Osaka (高島屋大阪店).

Visiting the food hall inside Japanese department stores has always been an integral part of my itinerary. It's a little tricky today because it's Christmas day. Most department stores are closing early including Takashimaya so I had to scramble to squeeze this into our busy schedule. Once I arrived, I was immediately drawn to the dessert counters and just by looking at all the colorful pastries, I knew I had to make a move.


But not surprisingly, we can't see the end of the queues at the majority of these cake shops because they are so long! In order to accomplish my mission, I had to make a compromise. That means finding the cake shop with the shortest queue!

The name Patisserie Gokan (五感) rings a bell thanks to our last trip to Osaka back in 2018. Since marron is in-season in Japan right now, getting a Mont Blanc cake for everyone is really a no-brainer.


Mont Blanc – Mom is a sucker for anything with chestnut in it. And she thought it was all marron purée underneath the Mont Blanc. I told her to think again. 😆 


I was a little disappointed to see how thin that layer of marron purée really was.


Much to mom's displeasure, it was just chantilly cream and sponge underneath the purée. She did claim that she likes the marron part cuz it wasn't too sweet.

So, that's two desserts for me in two days. I intend to keep this pace up until the end of the trip.





Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: B1F Takashimaya Osaka, 5-1-5 Namba, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 542-0076 Japan
Closest Metro Station: Namba
Tel: +81 (0)6 6631-1101
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 8:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think