Sunday, July 23, 2023

Patisserie Georges Marceau (Fukuoka, JAPAN) ★★★★☆

I decided to take a break in action and head back to the hotel for some much-needed rest. After taking a shower and cooling myself off, I was ready to hit the road again. My first stop, Patisserie Georges Marceau, is an authentic French pastry shop and café (with Japanese twist) on the quiet side of bustling Watanabedori (渡辺通). I didn't realize that I had actually visited this place in 2019 on my first-ever visit to Fukuoka until I arrived at the front door.

Patisserie Georges Marceau, authentic French dessert shop / cafe with Japanese twist [Tenjin, Fukuoka]

Tough luck! This is all that's left for the day!? 😓😪😤

Patisserie Georges Marceau, authentic French dessert shop / cafe with Japanese twist [Tenjin, Fukuoka]

Sadly, they broke the news to me that other than their Japanese custard pudding and signature Fromage cake, they had nothing left for the day. I guess they are not making more (pastries) on a late Sunday afternoon.

Patisserie Georges Marceau, authentic French dessert shop / cafe with Japanese twist [Tenjin, Fukuoka]

Japanese custard pudding 
– I wasn't going to walk away empty-handed, not after the long walk from the hotel (OK, it was only 500 metres but it felt much longer than that!).

Patisserie Georges Marceau, authentic French dessert shop / cafe with Japanese twist [Tenjin, Fukuoka]

Despite forgetting to mix the creamy, melt-in-the-mouth custard with the rich caramel sauce on the bottom, I thought there was enough eggy flavor there to keep me happy.


I asked my server to make me a Japanese version of Hong Kong style milk tea for me. Just hot black tea served with milk and sugar. That was all the caffeine I needed to stay awake for the rest of the day.

I was ready to settle my bill but I noticed something just arriving from the kitchen at the back. Pistachio mousse cakes! 🎂


Pistachio mousse cake – I was more than happy to extend my stay here. 

I thought the delicate pistachio mousse was reasonably rich (but not as rich as the one we had in Osaka 9 months ago), and they matched the richness with different degrees of acidity from the strawberry mousse, cheese and cherry compote in the middle. That was pretty nice.

Was there room for improvement? I think so. Texture-wise, the cake was a little too soft and wobbly so a bit of crunchiness here and there would certainly help out a lot.

Patisserie Georges Marceau, authentic French dessert shop / cafe with Japanese twist [Tenjin, Fukuoka]

Ever so grateful to have a tea break like this one just to sit down, relax and enjoy some quality time by myself. Sometimes, it's a luxury to do absolutely nothing. In fact, I couldn't recall the last time I had this kind of moment. Everything happens so fast in Hong Kong and we tend to rush through everything we do.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 5-8-19 Watanabedori, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka, 810-0004 Japan
Closest Metro Station: Tenjin-minami / Watanabe-Dori
Tel: +81 (0)92-741-5233
Website: http://gm.9syoku.com/patisserie/
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 7:00pm (Wed - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think