Saturday, July 8, 2023

Arcane (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

A decent meal has been hard to come by for me in July. Looking back at my own blog posts, I started realizing that it's been months since I last had a satisfying meal (in Hong Kong). That was SO SAD! In an effort to reverse my fortune, I knew I had to pick the right place for my upcoming lunch over the weekend. And this is a place I know I can always count on to deliver. 

Chef Shane Osborn's Arcane.


This visit has been long overdue. Checking my records again and my memories now started coming back. I was last here in 2019, before our bout with COVID-19.


Confit king salmon – This was Chef Osborn at his best.

The confit king salmon fillet topped with noirmoutier potato and ikura, was served up beautifully with soft-boiled taiyouran egg, buttermilk and dill. I thought there was also lime juice in play, with its lovely acidity cutting through the salmon beautifully. A simple, refreshing dish that was perfect to whet one's appetite with to start off the meal.


Yellow chicken – A lot of western restaurants have been doing yellow chicken these days. This was a well-executed yellow chicken dish with the succulent chicken matched wonderfully with leeks, mousseron ragout and mustard greens.


Lemongrass parfait – Sticking with the theme of refreshing flavors, I went with the lemongrass parfait as my dessert this afternoon.


The lemongrass parfait was paired with tropical flavors of coconut cream and lychee sorbet, while the puffed buckwheat added some extra crunch to the mix. A lovely sweet ending to the meal.


Like I said, this was Chef Osborn at his best with his style of simple, honest cooking and a cuisine driven by fresh ingredients. This was truly long overdue.





Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 3/F, 18 On Lan Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2728-0178
Website: www.arcane.hk
Opening Hours: 12:00pm-2:15 pm, 6:00 pm-12 :00am (Mon - Sat)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think