Sunday, August 28, 2022

The Peninsula Boutique & Café (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After a quick lunch at Silvercord, we ventured over to K11 Musea and spent a bit of time there before taking a slow and deliberate walk to Hong Kong Space Museum for our main event this afternoon – Dinosaurs of Antarctica (極地尋龍) 3D.



I heard it's not easy to get tickets here. Let's hope if it's as good as advertised.



Well, more than half of us almost fell asleep during the show. I was probably the only one who managed to stay awake throughout the show. I thought it's not that bad but there's quite a bit of information to digest and I'm not sure if any of the kids there understood half of it.

Anyways, after the show, we decided to go across the street to the Peninsula Hotel to check out a few things there.


The Peninsula Boutique was part of the agenda because there's a little something I wanted to have a closer look in person.


Here they are~


Their festive pastry Luna for the upcoming Mid-Autumn festival.


Personally, it was sad for me to learn about the departure of Executive Pastry Chef François Delaire from The Peninsula Hong Kong. He's a favorite of mine but I guess it's bittersweet that he will be working just next door as the opening Executive Pastry Chef for The Regent Hong Kong in 2023.

Back to Luna for a moment. This is a new creation by new Executive Pastry Chef Baptiste Villefranque who I vaguely remembered had a cup of coffee at W Hotel Hong Kong.


This is an inspiration from the legendary Peninsula mooncake with Chef Villefranque taking it one step further.


Luna – Underneath the citrusy pastry concoction, we have a layer of white chocolate and variations of mandarin oranges all sitting on top of a light sponge cake and shortbread base.

I like the cake in the shape of a mooncake but that's about all the connection it has to the actual mooncake. I thought there were way too many layers of citrusy flavors from top to bottom for the sweetness of the white chocolate to cut through. The result? It was a little too acidic for me and to imagine myself having an acidic mooncake, it was just a very weird experience. 


I don't think it was the intention in the first place, to make this pastry reminiscent of an actual mooncake except for the exterior but it was hard not to make the comparison. (I thought Shake Shack did one heck of a job making a lava custard shake that really tastes like actual mooncake!)





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: The Peninsula Arcade, Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2696-6969
Website: Link
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 7:00pm daily (Afternoon Indulgence tea set: 2:00pm - 6:00pm)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think