Wednesday, August 31, 2022

The Chinese Restaurant 凱悅軒 at Hyatt Regency (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

Today is my second consecutive and final off-day this month. Unlike yesterday's lunch where I already made my booking months ago, I was still struggling to find a place this morning. But since I know mom probably prefers dim sum more than anything else, I have narrowed down my short list to a number of Chinese restaurants in Tsim Sha Tsui before finally deciding on The Chinese Restaurant (凱悅軒) at Hyatt Regency TST.



I have heard about The Chinese Restaurant (what a bad name!) being the pioneer of dim sum buffet ($348 per head) but I have never been here before my entire life.



Since little nugget didn't have any class in the afternoon, I decided to drag him along to join me and his grandma for dim sum.



Barbecued pork with honey glaze (蜜汁叉燒) – Mom thought the meat was a little dry and lean, and I agreed. I didn't expect Spanish Iberian pork here but something with a little fat would be nice.


Steamed shrimp dumpling with bamboo shoot (筍尖蝦餃皇) – Bite-sized har gow with a bit of bamboo shoot. Not sure if the small portion was intentional.


Steamed pork dumpling with flying fish roe (飛魚子燒賣) – Not the best presentation.


Steamed himematsutake mushroom dumpling (姬松茸素粉果) – Mom thought this was one of the few decent dim sum they had here but I thought a little too wet for me.


Pan-fried turnip cake (香煎蘿蔔糕) – Not bad.


Baked chicken and mushroom pie (白汁磨菇雞粒批) – For me, this chicken mushroom puff and the beef tripe (which I didn't have a very good photo of) were the better dishes this afternoon. The rest probably won't make the cut for a hotel restaurant but I know they are on a budget when it's all-you-can-eat.


Traditional wok-fried rice vermicelli (家鄉炒米粉) – A little heavy-handed with salt and no "wok hei". I guess it's been sitting there and warmed for a while.


Mung bean soup with kelp (海帶綠豆沙) – Just two desserts on the menu. I wasn't in the mood for chilled hawthorn pudding so this was the only option.


I have to admit, I expected a lot more from a Chinese restaurant inside a 4-star hotel even when it's all-you-can-eat. Everything was just sub-par (but presentation was just horrible) from start to finish with service being the only bright spot for us. And to rub salt into the wound, the moment I saw diners walking around the dining room without their masks, I was thinking we might as well go to East Ocean or something of that caliber. At least, we're not spending $400 per head there.





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 3/F, Hyatt Regency Hong Kong Tsim Sha Tsui, 18 Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3721-7788
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think