Saturday, May 14, 2022

Tristar Kitchen 三星台菜食堂 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I am going to be a one-man wrecking crew this morning. Jelloman is off to her 3-hour bakery class; that left me with little nugget and the trouble to bring him to his singing class (and back). That should be easy.

This part was a little tougher. After picking him up from class, he was so hungry that he could barely walk. So, I brought him over to Olympian City looking for a place to eat. To be honest, I am still picking my spots when I'm dining out with my little nugget. Some crowded places, I still felt unsafe to have him remove his mask in public. Today, I had to sample quite a number of restaurants at Olympian City before finding Tristar Kitchen (三星台菜食堂), a Taiwanese noodle shop which was without much of a crowd.



We were offered some cold appetizers to start off the meal with.


Braised Tristar Noodle in soup with beef, tendon, tripe (紅燒三星麵) – One of the restaurant's signature dishes. I wasn't impressed with the broth made with beef bones when I visited this place for the first time last year and I'm still unimpressed. There seems to be something missing from the soup, I wonder why.

But the beef tendon and tripe were really nice. Less successful (and tender) was the beef fillet. For the noodles, I went with the thick sliced noodles (刀削麵) which was the perfect match with the beef bone broth thanks to its chewiness.


Fried chicken fillet noodle in beef soup (台式炸雞排牛骨湯) – Little nugget wanted some Taiwanese-style fried chicken fillet. I was a little worried that he couldn't handle the chewy sliced noodles so I got him the thin noodles instead.


The chicken fillet was normally pretty "reliable" and it was again fairly tender. The only blemish was perhaps the seasoning on the chicken, which I thought was a little heavy-handed with chili powder.


Just when I thought little guy and I couldn't possibly finish everything off by ourselves, Jelloman arrived in the nick of time for the rescue. And I thought we were already stuffed but Jelloman wanted to check out this pig's organ platter (no pig's blood!). I haven't had pig's intestines for years so I'm going to have one just for old time's sake.


This guy looks like he could use some sleep in the afternoon. What happened? You sneaked out to play last night, boy?






Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop G71, G/F, Olympian City 2, 18 Hoi Ting Road, Tai Kok Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Olympic
Tel: +852 2180-9996
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 9:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think