Thursday, May 26, 2022

NINETYs Star House (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I was hoping this day would never come; at least not when I am still living in Hong Kong. Last month, my food buddy Agent-I announced that she would be leaving us and the city we loved dearly soon. I still remembered our first lunch together when she started her first-ever job in Hong Kong. That was almost 20 years ago and coincidentally, I was also working my first job in Hong Kong. You never forget about your first job.

And over the next two decades, Agent-I and I teamed up a lot on exploring new restaurants in town. She's also my mahjong leg for the longest time. I always tell her it's difficult to find someone crazy enough to fork out a couple thousand bucks to have a lousy meal together but we both have a soft spot for epic meals. In recent years, we had less time to hang out with the arrival of my little nugget; and of course, both of us were more tied up with work. She had stints working in Singapore and then SZ.

When she first broke the news that she's leaving town, I was in the middle of a busy schedule at work. It took me a while to digest the news and get back to her with a proposed date for a farewell. Like I said many times before, I always hate farewells and I hate it more than ever.



It turns out that she's leaving this Sunday and we almost ran out of time to do a catch-up before her departure. Instead of having another epic meal, we decided to do a quick catch-up, this time over breakfast. She wanted to enjoy a cup of coffee with the harbour view in the background one last time so we agreed to meet up at NINETYs which is located on the second floor of Star House (星光行) inside the Eslite Book Store in Harbour City.



I tried to arrive early to get ourselves a table by the window.


The weather was again pretty dismal today. I guess it matches my mood seeing my good friend one last time before she leaves over the weekend.


Instead of coffee, I'm getting myself a cup of silky smooth milk chocolate. This was very light compared to the one served at places like Dalloyau and not surprisingly, much easier on the palate. I thought the drops of honey provided the perfect icing on the cake with some additional sweetness.


My friend had the avocado toast with smashed avocado, poached eggs, pomegranate and ricotta cheese.


After breakfast, we took the connecting passage to the mall together. I bid farewell to my good friend and food buddy one final time before she disappeared into the crowd. This is my third farewell gathering in May and by far, the least comfortable one. Seriously, I think it's time to find some new food buddies soon.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop L202 & 203, Eslite Book Store, 2/F, Star Annex, Star House, 3 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3419-1090
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 9:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think