Saturday, May 14, 2022

Kopitiam Makan Makan 麥金.麥金馬來西亞特式茶啡室 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Little nugget's lessons officially resume "normal" this week. It's time to put away our laptop (and Zoom) and hit the streets again this weekend. If the early signs are any indication, he's a natural-born performer. He loves dancing and singing; and of cuz, he was devastated when his singing lesson was cut short during the pandemic but he's finally getting his second singing lesson this Saturday after a break of nearly five months.


I had to find a place to settle down while I wait for him to finish his lesson and trust me, I don't know my way around TKT (Tai Kok Tsui), an area I knew I must do my due diligence. I have been hooked to traditional Malaysian cafes and their butter kaya toast these days and somehow, I managed to find Kopitiam Makan Makan (麥金.麥金馬來西亞特式茶啡室), just a 7-8 minute walk from where little one was having his class.


The cafe just barely opened for business and staff was seen working hard to get the place ready. Not surprisingly, there was a bit of foul smell presumably coming from the air con which they have probably just got running not too long ago.



Teh tarik 
 Very milky but not enough tea flavors so the balance was slightly off but I could live with that.



Butter kaya toast – Here comes my butter kaya toast.



A couple of problems here, firstly the toast wasn't thin and crispy enough, and then I thought there could be more kaya jam on the toast. I love jammy kaya toast.


I love the vibe of an authentic Malaysian cafe and the smell of authentic Malaysian / Singaporean food. I thought everything didn't totally match my expectation this morning but I am going to give this place another shot, perhaps when little guy has his next singing class.





Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop A2B, G/F, Tai Fu Building, 6-20 Tai Tsun Street, Tai Kok Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Olympic
Tel: +852 3618-7803
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think