Saturday, October 26, 2019

Tosca di Angelo (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

St Paul is dropping by Hong Kong for 48 hours to attend to some personal matters over the weekend. It's been two years since I last saw my best friend from Los Angeles so I wasn't going to miss this chance to meet him. This time, he's staying at Ritz Carlton Hong Kong so Tosca di Angelo was a fairly easy choice to make (considering he just checked in at 8am in the morning).



I didn't expect much of a crowd here today considering all the activities that have been going on over every weekend but surprisingly, the restaurant was nearly half full.



Thanks to the good guys here, I was given a table next to the window. That's always a huge bonus when you're dining at Tosca, which is more than 400 metres above the ground.



It was a beautiful day out there though a little bit hazy.



It was nice to catch up with my BFF. A lot have happened since we last met but we both managed to strive in the face of adversity. I guess that's what life is all about.



Some extra virgin vinegar from the chef's hometown of Sicily helped to kick off this meal in style. There were some fruity ones that sounded pretty interesting but at the end, I decided to try the one which has been flavored with artichoke.



Some homemade bread to go with the extra virgin vinegar.



Lunch got off to a flying start thanks to a very refreshing amuse - tomato gazpacho topped with a light cheese foam, raspberry coulis and croutons.



This is a very nice marriage between the gazpacho, goat cheese and raspberry coulis. I thought the sharp, clean flavors from the gazpacho were complemented wonderfully by the richness of the goat cheese and acidity of the raspberry coulis.



I was having something from the sea to start the meal. The Hokkaido scallop wrapped with a thin slice of pancetta was pan-seared to perfection.  



The rich flavored scallop was interestingly served on a bed of pumpkin and orange velouté. I have had pan-seared scallop with pumpkin velouté many times before but pumpkin velouté infused with zesty orange flavors?

This was a bit beyond my imagination. The sweetness of the pumpkin velouté was the perfect match for the Hokkaido scallop but the bitterness from the orange flavor seemed to be something that came out of left field.



My Primi Piatti was spaghetti Chitarra Mancini tossed with Datterino tomatoes, with a large piece of roasted langoustine served on the side.



This was very aromatic. I could smell the strong flavors from miles away.



The pasta was very very al dente and the sauce made with Datterino tomatoes and different parts of the langoustine (head, coral etc. I assume) really brought the dish a whole new dimension. My only complaint was its lukewarm temperature. Perhaps it's been parked in front of the kitchen a little too long, so instead of warm, the dish was served lukewarm which wasn't really ideal.



Next up was seared line caught sea bass served with mullet bottarga and variations of topinambur. I would love to have their wagyu again but this was a nice change of pace for me.



Dessert was a no-brainer for me. I'm getting one of my favorite tiramisu in town.



Looks like they have tinkered with this dessert a little bit. There's a small container full of coffee granita served with the tiramisu now.



The same old light and foamy tiramisu. I think I deserve a decadently delicious dessert like this after a hardworking week at work. 



Some migrandises served after the dessert with our coffee and tea.



.....including this dark chocolate with the restaurant's name on it.



After our satisfying brunch, St Paul brought me up to his harbour-view room.



The jaw-dropping view is certainly worth the heavy price tag.



It's my second visit since Chef Angelo took over the reigns and I can honestly say that the transition has been rather smooth and seamless.


Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 102/F The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, International Commerce Centre, 1 Austin Road West, West Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 2263-2270
Website: www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/china/hong-kong/dining/tosca
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:30pm - 10:30pm (Mon - Sat), 11:30am - 3:00pm, 6:30pm - 10:30pm (Sun) 


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think