Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice 天天海南雞飯 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I didn't get to celebrate my buddy V's birthday with him in September this year. He was in Japan then and just when he returned from his journey, it was my turn to take off for Fukuoka. Our hide-and-seek game had our scheduled dinner postpone until end of October.

There are a lot of places we'd avoid going at night (fear that MTR service would be suspended) so we ended up going to Elements Shopping Mall for a quickie.


I have just had a meal at Tosca 2 days ago so that was taken out of consideration. What's next on the list? Since the birthday boy wanted some Asian food, we decided to get ourselves some Hainanese chicken rice at Tian Tian (天天海南雞飯). When Tian Tian first landed in Causeway Bay from Singapore, it was virtually impossible to get in. This branch at Elements is less popular due to its location but I was surprised, it's still relatively full on a Tuesday night amidst of the recent crisis.


Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (天天海南雞) ($158) - The chicken was very very tender but the gravy was a little strong for me, totally overpowering the chicken.


The fragrant rice that came with the chicken was so good~



Fried seafood noodles with XO sauce (海鮮棵條) ($118) - Not the usual Singaporean style noodles that was tossed with dark sweet soy. This wasn't bad. The spicy kick from the XO sauce was always welcome addition to any of my dish.


Poached mustard green with daisy (花香菜膽) ($88) - I used to hate eating these coz it's so bitter but I have old man's palate now!


Kaya Tang Yuan (咖椰丸子) ($58) - Something sweet for us after the meal. Always love deep-fried sweet dumplings and from a Singaporean eatery, of coz it came with some local twist of sweet kaya. 


Well, V asked me what I thought of the famous Hainanese chicken from Tian Tian. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews since they landed in Hong Kong and here is my verdict - It's not as bad as some people said but then it's not the super delicious dish that people raved about. To me, Hainanese chicken is one of the most overrated dish of all time. I will just leave it at that.


Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1050A, 1/F, Elements, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 3108-2182
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 3:45pm, 5:30pm - 9:45pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think