Friday, January 24, 2020

Room Mate Gorka (San Sebastián, SPAIN)

After a wonderful (but short) stay in southwestern France, we drove down to San Sebastián as originally planned. It's a 40-minute drive from Saint Jean de Luz to Room Mate Gorka, where we will be staying for our only night in the "Pearl of the Cantabrian".



I thought San Sebastián is going to be a typical seaside resort town with sandy beaches and nothing more but I was rather happy to find myself wrong. Other than being a coastal town and Michelin hotspot, San Sebastián has way more to offer. 



First thing first, we got things rolling by parking our car at the hotel's designated 15-minute loading zone on Camino Kalea. That allowed us to go through a quick check-in, get mom and little guy into position in the lobby and finally transport the luggage over (as there was no bell service).



The 33-room property has only 6 rooms on each floor. Needless to say, we don't have to worry about noises.



I love the way our room is decorated. The design combines modern touches so well with neo-classic elements. 



Very contemporary and stylish.



My only complaint was the sofa bed. When I booked the room through the online booking system, the description said "executive room with two beds" so I was immediately led to think that it would be 2 standard beds, not one standard bed and a sofa bed. But if it's any consolation, I thought the sofa bed was pretty comfy.



I'm not sure if that facial expression means he likes his room.



The bathroom is spacious with complete marble fixtures.



Not all the hotels in Europe can afford a bath tub like this in their bathrooms so you know there's a lot of room in there to work with.



In fact, I thought I was more satisfied (and impressed) with the bathroom than the room itself.



But what I really like most about Room Mate Gorka was its location. It's even better than I thought. Just a 4-minute walk to La Concha Beach, it's right in the middle of everything.



Plaza Gipuzkoa is just across the street (can be seen from the balcony) and attractions like Alderdi Eder, De Okendo Plaza, San Sebastián's City Hall and Old Town all within walkable distance. I don't think I could ask for more.



We paid €112 (including tax) for our executive room only. That's a huge bargain considering it normally costs three times more on a weekend. But having said that, two things to watch out for if you decide to go for Room Mate Gorka. (1) There's no bell service. They do have a parking spot on Camino Kalea (in front of a toy store) which is just 50 metres away so you could take advantage of that for a quick check-in. (2) The hotel does not have its own parking facility. The closest public parking would be Parking Okendo, right besides 5-star Hotel Maria Cristina.




Rating: ❤❤❤❤
Price: €€€
Address: Gipuzkoa Plaza, 11, 20004 Donostia, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Tel: +34 843-984200
Website: www.roommatehotels.com/en/gorka


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think