Sunday, January 12, 2020

Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel 當文歷餅店 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I have been kicking myself for missing out on sharing a photo with Chef Dominique Ansel, one of my favorite patissiers in the world last week. Perhaps arriving early on a weekend morning can get the job done this time?



Of course, there's another bit of unfinished business for me - to get my hands on Dang Wen Li (當文歷餅店)'s signature creations, Lemon Juice Box (紙包檸檬茶) and Pineapple Bun (菠蘿包), both of which were sold out on my last visit.



Guess who's working the morning shift today? Chef Dominique himself!



Baguette Pound Cake (長棍麵包) ($168) - Finally, I got to check out a number of the house specialties which weren't available last week. This looks 90% like a classic French baguette but it was in fact a lemon pound cake dressed like a crusty baguette! A little too lemony but not bad.



Lemon Juice Box (紙包檸檬茶) ($62) - Very cute presentation. This is part of every Hongkonger's collective memory.



It was melting fast so I had to cut my photo session short and get my fork and knife ready.



The Lemon Juice Box consisted of bergamot curd, Earl Grey mascarpone mousse, almond biscuit, crispy feuilletine, and the cover was made of white chocolate. I thought the bergamot curd worked really well with the Earl Grey infused mascarpone. While this is not exactly lemon tea, the bergamot and Earl Grey tea flavors do combine for a taste reminiscent of our tea restaurant lemon tea.



Pineapple Bun (菠蘿包) ($65) - Like the Lemon Juice Box, this has "I'm too cute to eat" written all over it.



There's the thick slab of butter in the middle of the bun, like the same way a "real" pineapple bun was served at the local tea restaurant.



This came with a hidden centre of zesty jam made with pineapple, passion fruit and lime; balanced off nicely by a delicate coconut mousse. It was a well-designed and executed piece of pastry but I just didn’t see the connection to a real pineapple bun there.



Milk Tin Panna Cotta (黑白奶罐) ($65) - A white-chocolate "tin" with salted caramel panna cotta and a rum-soaked brioche centre.



This had to be the least delicious one of the three.



At last, I got my photo with the award-winning pastry chef! Congratulations on the opening of your first Hong Kong outpost, chef! Let's hope there will be more Dang Wen Li to come in Hong Kong than Maxim's and Saint Honore.



 
Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OT G63A, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-8618
Website: www.dangwenli.com
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 9:30pm (Mon - Thu), 10:00am - 10:00pm (Sat - Sun)


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think