Friday, August 31, 2018

Grains de vanille (Kyoto, JAPAN) ★★★★☆

Kyoto is arguably the best place to experience Japanese's long tradition of Wagashi (traditional Japanese sweets) in Japan but apart from traditional sweets, there are also a number of French patisseries in the ancient city that are worth a serious look. Since I'm free all morning, I thought I should start the day by checking one of those French pastry shops off my list.



Situated in an area near Karasuma Oike Station which is known for its home furniture stores, Grains de vanille stands out with its cozy atmosphere and modern European style decor.



Owner-chef Tsuda Reisuke (津田励祐) honed his skills in Paris working at some of the best pastry and chocolate shops including Pierre Hermé and Jean-Paul Hévin before returning to Tokyo to build up his experience at Shiseido Parlour. In 2011, he finally opened his own pastry shop, Grains de vanille in Kyoto.



Unlike some of the pastries we found in Kyoto, Chef Tsuda's creations are authentically French with a fine touch of Japanese influence.



One of Chef Tsuda's signature desserts is his classic mille-feuille topped with caramel cream. But with 20 different kinds of cakes on display, I know it's not going to be an easy choice for me (One thing for sure, I won't be picking the mille-feuille since I'm not much of a fan).



This is what I call a perfect (and hearty) breakfast with sweets and floral tea.



It's almost the tail end of the Japanese white peach season so perhaps one of my last chance to taste their best crop of white peach.



Momo (580 yen) - The delicate white peach mousse cake is nicely garnished with pieces of white peach and raspberry on top.



Underneath the rich white peach mousse are layers of light raspberry mousse, raspberry jam and buttery sponge cake. A real impressive pastry with different textures of raspberry balancing the sweetness of white peach nicely.



Amabilite (580 yen) - With Chef Tsuda's background working for Jean-Paul Hévin, I know I have to at least check out one of his chocolate cakes.



What makes this cake so delicious apart from the light and delectable chocolate mousse are the runny jasmine tea ganache, apricot compote and chocolate sponge lying underneath. A lovely creation with a wonderful symphony of rich, light and fruity flavors. It was finished elegantly with a piece of gold leave on top.



I guess the rumor about Pierre Hermé visiting this place twice is true. I can really see it happening.






Food Rating: 7/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 486 Kagiyachō, Nakagyō-ku, Kyoto, 604-0832, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Karasuma Oike
Tel: +81 (0)75 241-7726
Website: www.grainsdevanille.com



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think