Monday, August 27, 2018

Kimukatsu Shochikuza Dotonbori (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

I thought we were just going to have a quick dinner at Dotonbori Imai Honten (道頓堀 今井) tonight but Jelloman wanted tonkatsu so we quickly shift to Plan B and head over to Shochikuza Building (松竹座) at the western side of Dotonbori.

What separates Kimukatsu from any traditional tonkatsu places is their mille-feuille style deep-fried pork cutlets, which were said to have at least 25 layers of pork.



I have been to this Kimukatsu outpost on a number of occasions and vividly remembered that they used to have a lot more customers, especially Korean customers (It must have been promoted on tons of Korean tour books) but it was pretty quiet today. Maybe it's Monday.

Apart from their original (plain) kimukatsu (mille-feuille style tonkatsu), they also offer six other flavored kimukatsu (cheese, black pepper, leeks salt, garlic, yuzu pepper and pickled plum) for those who crave for more complex flavors. We had the yuzu pepper last time and really didn't like it all that much.

Kimukatsu Shochikuza Dotonbori food menu

Some shredded cabbage with the usual vinaigrette before they serve up my tonkatsu.



At the same time, I was getting my tonkatsu sauce ready, by smashing the sesame seeds all over.



Why would anyone want a traditional tonkatsu here? But tell that to Jelloman, she just didn't care as long as the pork cutlets were perfectly breaded.

I thought it was pretty tender and juicy. Actually not a bad choice (considering the price).



Mom had the deep fried jumbo prawns and I thought the batter was a little too thick though I never got to taste one to judge it myself.



I was the only one who went for their kimukatsu tonight. Initially, I had trouble deciding if I should get the plain kimukatsu or a flavored one. But thankfully I got a tip from our server as she told me the cheese kimukatsu was their best seller.

This turned out to be pretty tasty. Thought the added cheese worked well with the multiple thin layers of pork without going over the top (like the yuzu pepper did last time). 



It also meshed reasonably well with the sesame seeds and tonkatsu sauce.








Food Rating: 6/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: B1F Shochikuza Building, 1-9-19 Dotonbori, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 542-0071 Japan
Closest Metro Station: Shinsaibashi 
Tel: +81 (0)6 6212-1129
Website: www.kimukatsu.com



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think