Monday, August 6, 2018

Flint (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

Flint Grill and Bar at JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong is undergoing a rebranding of some sort in August. Instead of Flint Grill and Bar, it's now just Flint. They have also done some touch-up on the food menu although the restaurant remains primarily a steakhouse. Since we're in the area for a meeting, I thought we might swing by for a quick lunch.



The revamped two-course lunch set ($280~$450 depending on your main dish) still focuses a lot on beef but there're also some fine seafood options available (John Dory, dover sole and lobster).



Lunch didn't start off the way I hoped it would. I love ahi tuna but this was really disappointing.



This came with three large tuna cubes each wrapped with a slice of 5J Iberico ham and served with a small pool of Romanesco sauce and wild rocket leaf. I thought everything that could go wrong did go wrong with this dish (Murphy's Law?). For starters, the presentation just looked awful. It looked nothing like a dish coming out of a hotel restaurant. Then, the tuna, way too chewy with a lot of tendons in the middle. And last but not least, when you've already marinated the tuna with spicy soy, why would you still serve it with a flavorful Romanesco sauce (Better going the safe way with avocado puree?).



My main course was a little better. Although my USDA Nebraska rib-eye didn't show up "medium" as I've ordered it to be, it was decent (even when it's overcooked).



Despite all the grill marks, I thought the rib-eye didn't have that nice smoky flavor to it. I wonder why?



The mashed potato was really underwhelming as well. 



When they made changes to the concept, I was expecting them to make it better, not worse.

Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Level 5, JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2810-8366
Website: Link


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think