Sunday, August 19, 2018

Okonomiyaki Dohtonbori 道頓堀御好燒 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

We're going to Osaka next week and in preparation of the trip, we decided to give ourselves a little okonomiyaki experience (Japanese savory pancake which is very popular in Osaka) before the trip.

Okonomiyaki Dohtonbori (道頓堀御好燒) is a fast growing brand in Japan with hundreds of locations nationwide and for their new ventures in Hong Kong, they're teaming up with a local F&B company called Wellcore, which I honestly have not heard previously.



It's one thing that you're served with a tasty okonomiyaki but it's another that you get to make your own (DIY)! 

I promptly started things off with this one called Cheese in okonomiyaki ($78). Not a whole lot of ingredients there...



After carefully mixing up the flour and egg together, I began pouring the mixture onto the hot plate. The key was not to over-mix because it would result in a really chewy and rough pancake. Once the bottom part of the pancake was cooked, I started to add toppings including green onion, radish and ham in. The pieces of cheese went in dead last so they're still kind of moist and runny. Lastly, simply flip the pancake over until the other side was also cooked.



This was when I messed up. I mis-timed my flip and the pancake almost broke into two! This didn't look very good but I could re-assure you that it tasted pretty decent. After all, it's my first time making okonomiyaki and there's a lot of pressure coming left and right from the other diners to get it right!



The Hiroshima-style mix okonomiyaki ($118) was a lot more complicated (egg, ramen, squid, pork etc.).



I started off frying the ingredients one after another while adding some seasoning along the way.....



The end result was less than satisfying. I was paying too much attention to the yakisoba that I messed up the pancake totally (coz I didn't mix the batter well enough). That was embarassing!~



It's probably not a good idea for me to put a food rating here coz after all, I was the culprit tonight!





Price: $$
Address: Shop 210, 2/F, K11 Art Mall, 18 Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3468-2264



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think