Tuesday, July 12, 2016

火爐旅行 화로여행 (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

Everyone was leaning towards having some Korean barbecue meat after a busy afternoon of shopping in Myeongdong. The trouble is, no one seemed to prefer going back to Maple Tree House or Hwaroyeon so I had to pull one out of the bag.

I ended up going with 火爐旅行 (화로여행), a traditional Korean barbecue house very close to Grand Hotel on a quiet street in Myeongdong (I know It's really difficult to call Myeongdong quiet.). For those of you who don't understand Korean or Chinese, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an English name for this place so I will just call it "Journey of the grill" from here on (with a direct translation from its Chinese name).



Personally, I have always tried to stay away from the traditional Korean barbecue places because for one, they're often a little greasy and dirty all around and two, you smell like a piece of smoky meat when you finish. But this is not the case at "Journey of the grill" as it's clean and well lit.



My favorite part of a traditional Korean barbecue is actually their banchan, or the side dishes. They have got some baby spinach and mashed sweet potatoes but where's my beloved bean sprout? 



First time I'm having these bitter melon pancakes as my banchan. Not bad at all.



Charcoal grilled beef ribs (₩35,000) - Flavorful but a little chewy. For the same price tag, we could probably get some Hanwoo beef already.



Grilled pork belly (₩14,000) - This was very tender and its rich flavor had me thinking Jeju black pork. Yummy without burning a hole in my pocket.



Kimchi pancake (₩13,000) - We ditched the traditional Korean pancake with octopus in favor of this kimchi pancake. Huge mistake.



Beef brisket soup (6,000) - Mom didn't want any spicy stuff so we ordered this beef brisket soup just for her. 



This is a decent alternative for Maple Tree House if you're longing for some charcoal grilled meat in Myeongdong. Their pork belly was value for money but stay away from their expensive beef selection.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ₩₩₩
Address: 62-5 Chungmuro 2(i)-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul
Tel: +82 02-776-9865


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think