Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Lifetastic (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I have a bunch of backlog reviews to write before heading to Seoul this weekend so I better make this real quick. Lifetastic is a café in and out of my radar screen since its opening and it's been on my to-do list for the longest time. But the fact that they have got the best watermelon cake in the city has made it virtually impossible for me to ignore, even when it's located a bit far at Shek Tong Tsui. So when my buddy V and I decided to meet up at Rhoda tonight, I decided to come early and kill two birds with one stone.

Located on the hilly Hill Road, Lifetastic is a breath of fresh air in an area dominated by local eateries but I see this as an transition period (old meets new).




Anyways, I was being seated at the corner of the cafe and after peeking into the menu for 5 seconds, I wasted no time waving at my server. Yes, I'm going for the watermelon cake.



This is the perfect choice for the summer. With the tremendous heat in July, the combination of watermelon, strawberry, pistachio, almond dacquoise and rose-scented cream never sounded better. I like the toasted pistachio and dried rose petals too, for the contrasting textures and flavors.



This was just beautiful. I heard that they've actually soaked the strawberry and watermelon in rose water to give it a bit more flavors and that was just icing on the cake for me. Honestly I really didn't mind having another slice of that but quickly realized I have dinner in approximately half an hour.



While I was real happy with the watermelon cake, I found myself slightly disappointed with my iced French chocolate. This is a bit watery (even without ice) and the chocolate flavors were a bit weak. Perhaps I was expecting something along the line of Angelina's super thick chocolate drink here so the bars were set way too high before I even had my first sip.



The strawberry watermelon cake alone is already worth the visit. Now that I'm addicted, it looks like I'm obligated to check out BlackStar Pastry’s infamous Strawberry Watermelon Cake when I'm in Sydney later this year!

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop B, G/F, 31-37 Hill Road, Shek Tong Tsui, Western District, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: HKU
Tel: +852 5243-9851


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think