Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Caroncaron Macaron Atelier (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

Caroncaron is a charming little macaron-only atelier on Gyeongnidan in Itaewon. In case you haven't heard of Gyeongnidan before, it's one of the best kept secrets in Seoul and certainly one of my favorite hangout spots in the city. This is mainly a residential area sandwiched between Noksapyeong Station and the Grand Hyatt Hotel, that has slowly become a landing spot for cozy coffee shops, bars, restaurants and boutiques in recent years.



There are really not that many home grown macaron-only cafès in Seoul and even fewer who can match the quality of what Caroncaron can deliver.




I did a quick count and looks like they had only 12 flavors available this afternoon. Didn't take long for me to make up my mind and headed for the counter seats while they got my macarons ready.



Instead of getting the always-popular flavors like pistachio and Earl Grey, I went straight for the kill - wasabi and PB & jelly (₩2,500 each).



Time to sit back and enjoy my "me time". 



These were pretty amazing and I was particularly impressed by their less traditional offerings (I really enjoyed the PB & jelly flavor with peanut butter cream and raspberry jelly.). Of course, nothing comparing to the innovative and creative combinations of flavors from Pierre Hermé but it's a solid start.



There are other interesting dessert spots on Gyeongnidan (see Hoenamu-ro 13ga-gil in Google Map) including by 92, ÉCLAIR by garuharu, Frank's among others. It's definitely a nice place to spend a lazy afternoon.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ₩₩₩
Address: 258-167 Hoenamu-ro 35-gil, Itaewon, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Noksapyeong
Tel: +82 70-8223-0808


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think