Wednesday, July 6, 2016

GROM - Italian Natural Gelato (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

The other night, I was just complaining about the lack of good artisanal gelato in town in front of a few friends and obviously the BIG guy upstairs has been listening. Little that I knew my prayer would be answered so quickly!

So I was on my way to the bank to get my Korean wons when I came across this new gelateria in IFC right next to the TWG tea room. That was exactly what the doctor ordered as I have been fighting the heat all day long. I need something thirst quenching big time.

I'm talking about GROM, the new kid on the block who "grew up" in Turin Italy. The story started back in 2003 and they've now expanded to United States (LA, New York), Middle East (Dubai), Japan (Osaka), France (Paris) and Indonesia (Jakarta) with over 60 locations worldwide.



Like most popular gelateria these days, their gelatos are all made with high-quality fresh milk, cage-free eggs and of course, the best raw ingredients. They do not contain flavorings, colors, preservatives or emulsifiers of any kind so that's always good news for health conscious folks like us.

Despite the high rent at IFC, they're not charging outrageous prices for their gelato at all. One flavor (cone or cup) set us back at $35 only while I'm paying $59 for my 2-flavored cone (3 flavors - $69, 4 flavors - $99).



There are only 6 flavors available in July so I didn't have to waste a lot of energy deciding what I wanted. 



Crema di Grompastry cream with corn biscuits and Ecuadoran chocolate chips. While both flavors were very nice and smooth, I thought the crema di Grom was a little bland despite having chocolate chips and corn biscuits in the mix. Very thirst quenching but I guess I'm more used to stronger and richer flavors.

Pistachio - This is just perfect. Very rich pistachio flavor along with a bit of crushed pistachio in the middle. Yes it's a tad sweeter than your pistachio ice-cream in Hong Kong but I will take this any day!

I have nothing but praises for this new gelateria.....well, except one. I think they should keep their gelato at a slightly cooler temperature coz mine was melting as soon as I took it off my server's hand.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1023, IFC Mall, 8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think