Monday, July 11, 2016

DesserTree (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

DesserTree is one of the few dessert cafés left on my short list that I have yet to pay a visit in Seoul. This is partially my fault as I've been at their doorstep a couple of times on Sundays but only to find that the famed dessert bar is closed on that particular day of the week.



After two failed attempts, I made sure that I wrote this down and not come back again on a sunday!



They have a modern and sleek interior that matches their incredibly beautiful desserts. I am really looking forward to this...



Just like most of the dessert bars these days, the server here brought along their menu in the form of a tablet and let us explore their selection of desserts with our fingertips. As much as I like to go with their course menu (6-courses), I was still stuffed from my earlier meal at Jungsik so I decided to sample their a la carte menu instead. 



They were a little shorthanded today with just one chef on hand to serve all the different tables. So after a 20-minute wait, my little nugget was getting a little impatient.



White chocolate panna cotta, watermelon sorbet, grilled kadaif (₩15,000) - If you have been following Seoul's food scene closely for the last little while, you should have seen this on the Instagram before. It is a beautifully presented dessert with a white chocolate panna cotta on the bottom and it was topped by a scoop of watermelon sorbet and some grilled kadaif which were thin noodles made with flour.

I must admit, there's nothing incredibly complex about this particular dessert. But this is just perfect for the summer as the watermelon sorbet is so thirst quenching and it has worked admirably well with the panna cotta. The grilled kadaif, which tasted a little like shredded taro (芋絲), was a nice touch too.



Salted caramel ice-cream, grilled banana and hazelnut biscuit (₩13,000) - But personally, I like the second dessert a little more. Again nothing sophisticated in this one as there were only 2 major ingredients here - grilled banana and salted caramel ice-cream. The banana slices were nicely grilled with a caramelized glaze and along with the salted caramel ice-cream, looked like a match made in heaven.



The fact that I didn't get to sit around the bar took something away from the experience (as I was looking after my nugget) but nevertheless, I thought it was a pretty enjoyable visit. I like how they were using seasonal ingredients in the design of their desserts but quality wise, there are still grounds to make up if they want to catch up with Sona, which is currently my favorite dessert bar in Seoul. 

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: ₩₩₩
Address: 17, Dosan-daero 51-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Apgujeong Rodeo
Tel: +82 2-518-3852


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think