Thursday, June 30, 2022

Gaddi's 吉地士 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Things are getting really busy at work these days and despite having more than a month's annual leave in my pocket, I wasn't able to use them much. But I figured I better use them while I can, before some of them get forfeited in a couple of months. Thursday afternoon will be the ideal opportunity to do so; and why not, with the long weekend coming up?



I have been itching to go back to Roganic, one of my top 10 restaurants in the city for ages but somehow I could never pull the trigger. Today, it was another misfire as I made up my mind to go there for lunch on my afternoon-off but I left my office a little too late. As a result, I wasn't able to make it there before their last order. Alternative? I decided to ring up the folks at Gaddi's (吉地士) and to my pleasant surprise, they had a table available due to a last-minute cancellation. So, at least I'm getting some good news before the storm arrives during the long weekend.


As usual, I got to kick off this relaxing lunch with my favorite brioche with bacon (or chorizo?).


It was nice to have a different amuse bouche for a change today. We've been having the "deconstructed French onion soup" for a while so it was time to switch things up (not that, it's not tasty or anything). The shrimp tartare wasn't a bad idea for the summer at all. It was served with a flavorful coral mousse while some tiny bits of crunchy potato on top provided some extra bite.


Bouchot mussel velouté, ravioli, spinach, lemongrass, horseradish – I would have normally gone for the poultry pâté without thinking twice but I wanted something healthy (or less unhealthy) this afternoon and the Bouchot mussel velouté turned out to be a great find. Silky smooth and soul warming.


Just love everything about this creamy velouté, with the baby spinach and ravioli that came stuffed with diced mussels in it.


Slow-cooked cod loin, white asparagus, bottarga, Isigny cream – I have been waiting for the chance to check out some in-season white asparagus so it caught my eyes instantly when I was reading the food menu.


The cod loin which was nicely cooked (but a little overcooked if you ask me) and served on a bed of white asparagus, was finished off well with shaved bottarga, salmon roes and an intensely rich, smoked Isigny cream sauce.


Manjari chocolate texture, candied cherries, pine seeds, buckwheat ice-cream
– Dessert was a collection of different textures of Manjari chocolate with candied cherries.


I thought they could go with something a little richer in flavor than the buckwheat ice-cream. This combination was just OK.


Petite fours were the same chocolate, macaron and financier we always have at Gaddi's, just different flavors this time around.



And I took some precious time to enjoy my caffeine after the meal.



I must admit, Gaddi's wasn't my first choice to begin with but at the end of the day, it worked out okay for me. I am thinking I can live with them as my back-up plan any given day!





Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 1/F, The Peninsula Hong Kong, 22 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2696-6763
Website: www.peninsula.com/en/hong-kong/hotel-fine-dining/gaddis-french-restaurant
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 7:00pm - 10:30pm (Tue - Sat)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think