Monday, July 15, 2024

Noodle House Ippei-An 麵屋一平安 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

I was supposed to meet my hair stylist a little after 7 tonight but things got interesting at work leaving me a bit late for my appointment. This pushed my night schedule back including my dinner plans.


It’s been a while since I last had a nice bowl of Japanese ramen and I was determined to try my luck on a place I have never visited before, Noodle House Ippei-An (麵屋一平安) at Mira Place One after getting my hair done.


Potato salad – I was missing the delicious potato salad from Hidden (秀殿) big time so I was really hoping that this would be at least half as good. 

The salad came with two soft-boiled eggs, some garden green and an uninspiring mashed potato that was flooded with acidity from a yuzu dressing. It was hard to believe that it actually came from a professional kitchen.


Chicken paitan ramen – As usual, I had a sip of the broth before working my way towards the noodles and rest of the ingredients.


I thought I have said this on a couple occasions before (different restaurant). The broth tasted more like Campbell chicken mushroom soup than an umami-rich chicken painan soup.


The noodles looked fine until I discovered an undercooked portion hidden on the bottom. Someone forgot to put a stir on the noodles!



The chicken fillet was a bit cold despite being simmered in the warm broth for a while.


More successful was the loin part, which was tender and flavorful (compared to the fillet that was totally bland).


A soft-boiled egg, fresh chives and pickled onion……didn’t think I missed anything there.


I remembered Noodle House Ippei-An being the first batch of Japanese ramen shops in the city more than a decade ago. It was an era way before the Japanese imports came pouring in. The fact that it had survived through the good and bad times suggested to me that they have something good brewing here but I couldn’t be more wrong !

The total damage tonight $140. Not worth a single penny of it!



Food Rating: 3.3/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 203, 2/F, Mira Place 1, 132 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2375-5330
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 9:45pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think