Friday, August 25, 2023

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 (Osaka, JAPAN) ★★★★☆

After we got back to Kyobashi Station (京橋駅) from Lalaport Kadoma (門真市), I decided to stay behind and check out a number of places near the station while the gang went back to the hotel for an early rest. On my way back, I began realizing that I haven't really eaten at all tonight. Yes, I have shared a pasta dish with Jelloman but that's not nearly enough for a grown man like me.

So, I hesitated and started walking slowly outside Nagahoribashi Station (長堀橋駅) (which was like a 2-minute walk back to our hotel) pondering my next move. Then, it came to my realization that I have yet to have tonkatsu on this trip and this would be the perfect time for some deep-fried pork cutlets! Unfortunately, I was at a pretty bad spot since Shinsaibashi / Nagahoribashi are more known for its ramen shops than tonkatsu joints. And it was getting late!

But wait, I still remembered there was one really highly regarded tonkatsu restaurant in the area that should still be open at this hour and its name is Tonkatsu KATSU Hana (とんかつ KATSU 華).

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 [Osaka, JAPAN] - Best top cozy tonkatsu deep-fried pork cutlet restaurant in Osaka near Shinsaibashi

As there was only a mere 10 minutes before Tonkatsu KATSU Hana's closing time (10pm), I was literally running and I did manage to just sneak in at 9:50pm. Normally for a lot of Japanese restaurants, the restaurant manager/hostess would turn me back citing it's too late to let me in. But not the guys here. They welcomed me with open arms.

I was first being seated at the counter table near the entrance area. And the moment I settled down, I immediately knew this was a family-run restaurant with the husband helming the kitchen, wife taking charge as restaurant manager/hostess and daughter serving up the dishes. The great team of 3 showed a lot of passion in their work.

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 [Osaka, JAPAN] - Best top cozy tonkatsu deep-fried pork cutlet restaurant in Osaka near Shinsaibashi

I didn't want to be the last customer out so I quickly ordered a set but once they moved me to a more comfortable seating inside, then I realized there were so much more on the food menu (in Japanese) than the English menu suggested. In fact, just for the pork loins, they have 8 choices coming from different parts of Japan presumably with different textures and flavors. Too bad I have already made my choice known (from the limited selection in the English menu 😔).

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 [Osaka, JAPAN] - Best top cozy tonkatsu deep-fried pork cutlet restaurant in Osaka near Shinsaibashi

I have ordered a combo with deep-fried shrimp and pork loins.

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 [Osaka, JAPAN] - Best top cozy tonkatsu deep-fried pork cutlet restaurant in Osaka near Shinsaibashi

The shape of this pork fillet wasn't the greatest (I was the one at fault for not picking the more premium pork loins which actually cost less than 1,000yen more!) but it was really crispy on the outside while soft and tender inside. I could tell they have just come out of the boiling oil.

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 [Osaka, JAPAN] - Best top cozy tonkatsu deep-fried pork cutlet restaurant in Osaka near Shinsaibashi

A warm bowl of miso soup was next. 

Tonkatsu KATSU Hana とんかつ KATSU 華 [Osaka, JAPAN] - Best top cozy tonkatsu deep-fried pork cutlet restaurant in Osaka near Shinsaibashi

When I was almost done, the lady in charge of the floor who was smiling all the way since I arrived, came over with a cup of piping hot green tea. That's perfect to offset the richness of the pork cutlets. I am a happy man.


As much as I tried to finish early, I turned out to be the last customer left. So, while I came to the reception table to settle the bill, I thanked the chef-owner behind the counter and restaurant manager/hostess for taking me in this late. I hope they understood me in English. 

It was a very short 20-minute dinner but somehow it became one of the most memorable meals I had on this trip. Yes, I was still kicking myself for not picking something more premium but the atmosphere in this cozy 12-seater and the great hospitality the team has showed, I would never forget. And needless to say, I will be all geared up for their high-quality Matsuzaka pork (松阪豚) next time.

P.S.  Great news that Tonkatsu KATSU Hana will introduce an online booking system starting 1st October. That would make life so much easier!




Food Rating: 6/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 2-2-11 Kitakyuhojimachi, Chuo-ku, Osaka, 541-0057, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Sakaisuji Hommachi / Nagahoribashi
Tel: +81 (0)6 6226-8559
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 3:00pm (Sun - Tue), 6:00pm - 10:00pm (Mon, Thu, Fri)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think