Sunday, October 9, 2022

Kitchen at W Hotel Hong Kong (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Jelloman's aunt is visiting from Australia for the next two weeks. In the past I was usually the one tasked with finding a restaurant for our gathering but not this time. Yours truly has been so busy at work that Jelloman decided not to bother consulting her foodie hubby and instead came up with her own place – Kitchen at W Hotel Hong Kong, which isn't a bad choice considering that everyone loves buffet.  


The view, meh.....let's focus back on our Sunday brunch. Shall we?


The first station, smoked salmon and tuna tataki. I thought the smoked salmon and salmon gravlax at Lighthouse Cafe, Ocean Park Fullerton Hotel were way better.  


But our attention quickly shifted to the seafood station and trust me, it's worth the attention. They have chilled lobster, crab, prawns, sea whelks and abalone. Everybody came back with a few of these and a smile on their face.


I continued to stroll around the other stations. The suckling pig looked really good (Too bad they didn't refill after guests finished the first and only pig). The barbecued pork and duck weren't bad as well.


Pan-seared foie gras, I haven't had these for quite some time. Time to let my guards down a bit this afternoon. The baked lobster and oyster next to the foie gras were both good but not great (more on that later).


And I thought everyone went back to our table and started munching! But this was when I spotted little nugget working hard at the dessert counter. I went over for a quick peek and there he was, getting his all-you-can-eat gummy bear candy! Caught red handed! 😡


My first round, consisting of succulent suckling pig, melt-in-the-mouth pan-seared foie gras and chilled lobster. The baked lobster was just diced lobster meat with mushrooms served with a mornay sauce on top.


The sushi counter on the far end. Everyone was obviously busy with the fresh seafood!


My second round, more foie gras and lobster. The fish maw was just average at best and abalone a little over the top with the sake. Yeah, never too early to get myself some macaron.


After a few rounds of savory food, it was time for dessert and this was probably one of the most spacious dessert counter I've seen for a while.


Freshly baked doughnuts!


Is this guy learning the art of plating all by himself?


This time, he was working on his macarons.


I had a few more macarons. The matcha tart which came highly recommended by the pastry chef here was so disappointed. The pastry was way too chewy, I didn't finish. The bite-sized cheesecake also didn't impress. Once again, it proved that quality matters more than quantity. 


I thought this meal was a lot better than the one we had here 3-4 years ago when we had the Eatigo discount. Little nugget is already asking to come back in November but I guess we shall see.....





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 6/F, W Hong Kong, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 3717-2299
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think