Monday, October 24, 2022

Doughman Bakery & Coffee (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Lai Chi Kok used to be a foodie wasteland until D2 Place (Phase One and Two) came along years ago. While the area is still very industrial and commercial centric, there are now more options in restaurants and cafes on top of their cha chaan tengs. One thing remains missing though is a good artisan bakery shop. Something in the mold of Bakehouse perhaps?


I thought I was dreaming but weeks ago, I saw this new bakery shop called Doughman across the street from D2 Place Phase One. It was still in renovation mode but looking in from the window, I could see the resemblance to Bakehouse in Wanchai with an in-house bakery kitchen behind the counter. This can’t possibly be true, right?


Finally, Doughman soft-opened on the following Monday attracting a few of us who were on our way to work. I was happy to see some familiar faces, such as croissants, pain au chocolates and different danish.


I didn’t have time to check out their coffee but I did get an almond croissant, freshly baked from their oven this morning. This looked really fluffy!


I thought this was almost as good as the one I had at Gontran Cherrier K11 Musea. Flaky on the outside but soft and moist inside. That'll be quite a compliment for any newcomer.


Reading from their IG and Facebook posts, there are a number of experienced bakers behind Doughman. This explains why their croissant was so tasty. Are there any improvement areas? I think so. I would really like to see them work on their variety of bakery goods to offer. And if they can add doughnuts to their arsenal, it will make me a very happy man!





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F 10 Cheung Yi Street, Cheung Lung Industrial Building, Cheung Sha Wan, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Lai Chi Kok
Tel: +852 3741-0111
Opening Hours: 7:30am - 6:00pm (Mon - Sat)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think