Friday, December 24, 2021

Wing Wah Allday 永華日常 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

My half day of work is finally over! Yeah baby, it's officially Christmas holiday for yours truly!

It was getting a little late in the afternoon when everything was said and done, so the first order of business was apparently going to be filling up my tank. And I knew exactly where to go for my late lunch today - Wing Wah Allday (永華日常) at Lee Tung Avenue.



I actually walked past this newly opened cafe a few times last week without going in. Perhaps I should have (gone in last week) cuz the waiting time was pretty crazy today with everyone in the holiday mood (and therefore not bringing homemade food to work?). I waited in the crowd for more than half an hour before finally getting the green light.



I said crowd because there was a huge crowd gathered around the Christmas tree listening to the Christmas carol sang live by a choir.


During my wait, I had more than enough time to check out Wing Wah Allday's signature dishes. I love the fact that they have incorporated products from some of our century-old local brands in there, which included ​Liu Ma Kee (廖孖記), Kung Wo Bean curd (公和荳品) Yan Chim Kee (甄沾記).



Wing Wah is an old school wonton soup place if my memory serves me right but there are quite a number of fusion, or should we say "innovative" dishes on their food menu including this one called Not Your Normal Pizza.


More waiting time after I placed my order. Looked like the kitchen was a little slow coping with the full house.


At last, something arrived! Like I said many times before, any local tea cafe must have a good pantyhose milk tea but sadly this did not pass my initial test.


Wonton soup, a Wing Wah specialty, soon followed. This was pretty good (perhaps I was starving)...


I waited more than an hour just for this dish - Spaghetti carbonara with Chinese preserved sausage (臘腸) and chili white bean curd (腐乳) from Liu Ma Kee (廖孖記). Chinese preserved sausage with spaghetti carbonara was really nothing new, at least not at my household. In fact, we have been using either Chinese preserved sausage or Chinese crispy pork belly (脆皮燒腩肉) for our carbonara for years (cuz we don't have pancetta at home). But fermented white bean curd??? That sounds interesting.

But that experiment pretty much failed before it even got started. Almost. One small corner of white bean curd with the spaghetti and I realized they weren't very good match. It actually made the pasta much too filling for anyone's appetite. 


I guess some dishes were only meant for paper talks. Now I am running a little late to pick up my little nugget from his bakery class.





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop G22-23, G/F, Lee Tung Avenue, 200 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2686-9887
Opening Hours: 7:30am - 9:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think