Sunday, December 19, 2021

Caprice (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Christmas is just around the corner and thanks to the plans I nailed down months ago, I can now sit back and enjoy our pre-Christmas celebration without scrambling for a venue. 


It's my first visit to Caprice in 2021 and I'm saving this to wrap up the year.  


A slightly cloudy day but that's okay.....


This guy has been in a pretty good mood since waking up. Perhaps he's already thinking about when to unwrap his Christmas gifts underneath the Christmas tree. 


Some edible Christmas decorations?


As usual, we were started off with some homemade brioche and baguette. 


Little nugget was really hungry; we could tell from the way he was tearing up the brioche!


While he was busy with his bread, here comes our amuse bouche.


The amuse was shellfish tartare (oyster, clams) with diced green apple and bell pepper underneath a thick layer of coconut emulsion. Didn't take long for us to find out that the coconut foam came with a hint of calmansi and seaweed powder sprinkled on top. It's always nice to kick off a meal with some clean flavors and lovely acidity.



Before we could even brink, our starters were already waiting on deck. And I could officially announce that my self-imposed ban for pan-seared foie gras is over! I didn't remember when exactly was the last time I had a nice piece of seared foie gras. I thought it was 2019 at one of my favorite restaurants in Bangkok served up by none other than Chef Vincent Thierry himself!


Melt-in-the-mouth pan-fried foie gras! I miss that mouthfeel so much. The beautifully cooked foie gras was paired with pear purée, poached pear balls and toasted walnuts, finished off nicely with a rich and tangy Roqerfort sauce.


While I was enjoying my foie gras, some of us were having Alaskan king crab with Crustacean jelly and Oscietre caviar from a La Maison Kaviari.


I stole a spoonful of these from Jelloman and not surprisingly, was blown away by the symphony of flavors there. Of course, they didn't forget to add some gold foils for good measures.


Next, we all enjoyed a small bowl of crustacean bisque with crab Royal and fresh coriander.


Little nugget was pretty clear on what he wanted for his main dish - roasted langoustine. These were wonderfully cooked and matched up brilliantly with celebriac variations and light calamansi.


I was told that this was a specially made XO sauce by the kitchen just for the langoustine. It was less spicy than I expected but very buttery and very nice to go with the sweetness of the langoustine.


I had the roasted beef tenderloin myself and I had to admit, it was my only mistake this afternoon. 


The beef (likely Australian but I didn't ask) was a little on the hard side but I like the supporting cast of olive gnocchi, Barigoule artichoke and natural jus.


Things quickly got back on the right track thanks to some really amazing desserts. 


While everyone decided to have a Mont Blanc, I went a different route with this creation featuring Earl Grey mousse, milk chocolate cream and pear sorbet. This was beautifully decorated like a potted plant.


Inside the chocolate crust were small cubes of diced pear and creamy Earl Grey mousse working superbly well with the milk chocolate cream and pear sorbet on top.


Petite fours were lemon yoghurt tart, praline chocolate and apricot cream puff with pistachio cream.


We didn't have much on our plates this afternoon and good thing we didn't, cuz I could really use a nice cup of tea. It's been a really busy last couple of weeks at work.



Another great meal at Caprice and service was again superb from start to finish. But why am I not surprised?





Food Rating: 8/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 6/F, 8 Finance Street, Four Seasons Hotel, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 3196-8860
Website: www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/dining/restaurants/caprice
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:30pm - 10:30pm daily




Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think