Sunday, May 24, 2015

Grand Hyatt Macau (Macau, CHINA)

I thought yesterday's black rain signal would disrupt our plan to Macau this afternoon but we managed to take off as planned without much delay. We arrived at Grand Hyatt Macau in one piece despite throwing up a couple of times on the ferry. I thought it was going to be smooth sailing from then on but there's always something that creeps up on you when you least expect.

As soon as I got everything ready for the team to check us in, I was informed that the non-smoking room we have requested wasn't available. I was furious. The room type I paid for was non-smoking. It was non-negotiable because the type of room said it all. We don't smoke and we don't like the smell of cigarettes. It's that simple. The staff obviously thought otherwise so I politely asked for her supervisor. A lady approached from the back office claiming to be her supervisor started speaking with me in Mandarin and pleading her case. I wasn't impressed and told her to please speak to me in Cantonese (cuz I don't really speak Mandarin) or English. You speak to your customer in their native or preferred language, not your native language. It's all that simple. Last time I checked, I wasn't spoken to in Japanese when I visited Tokyo. This is Customer Service 101.

At the end, the lady stepped back a little. She offered us an upgrade to a larger room albeit of smoking type. We really didn't have a choice because all the non-smoking rooms were taken so we quickly finished the formality and went up to our room to get some much needed rest. 


So, this room that we were given upgrade with, was a suite with a reasonably sized living room.


Not that we needed a living room to begin with. Our stay is a very brief one anyways.


The bedroom was hidden nicely behind the living room.


They have got twin beds here.


The suite is obviously very spacious but it also came with a strong odor (from smoking) that's everywhere from the carpet to the walls. We had to ask for air freshener machines to be installed for our stay.


Looks like the rain isn't going away anytime soon.


Like the living room and bedroom, the bathroom has seen better days.


The design, very dated and it's desperately crying for a facelift.


It's not a very good start to the trip but hopefully, the sun would come out and the odor would soon disappear. Yeah, it's way too early to dream. 







Rating: ❤❤❤
Price: $$$
Address: City of Dreams, Estrada do Istmo, Cotai, Macau, China
Tel: +853 8868-1234


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think