Sunday, May 10, 2015

Nonhyeon Samgyetang (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

Right before dinner tonight, I was trying to do a finger count. With Korean BBQ, gerang (marinated crab with soy) and dak galbi (marinated chicken on a hot plate) all out of the way, I guess the only missing link on this trip seems to be ginseng chicken soup. That would be our dinner tonight then.

Located on the fifth floor of the Lotte World Mall, Nonhyeon Samgyetang is a ginseng chicken soup expert. If you've any doubts, just look at the writings on the wall!



What separates Nonhyeon Samgyetang with most of its competiton is the contemporary decor and a team of staff that speaks decent English, which is always important in Seoul.



There were literally 4-5 different types of ginseng chicken soup to choose from (some with abalone) but we decided to simply go for the "plain" one.

This was pretty standard. The soup was not really very rich with ginseng flavor. The chicken was OK.



I was determined to try their rotisserie chicken with fried ginseng as it looked awfully delicious judging from what I've seen from a neighboring customer. But at the end, I realized I had a little too much meat of late so hesitantly, I went with their abalone porridge instead.

I thought the abalone was fine but the porridge was very bland. Someone please pass me some salt!



OK, this was the highlight of our night - meet my ginseng juice! Yes, you heard it right. A tall glass of iced ginseng juice right in front of my eyes for ₩2,000. Very refreshing with a strong ginseng flavor. Who needs the ginseng chicken soup?



The Lotte World Mall has an interesting mix of shops, cafes and restaurants but what I like the place most is some of their throwback themed streets. Excellent place to pose for pictures!




Food Rating: 4/10 
Price: ₩₩
Address: 5/F Casualdong, Lotte World Mall, 300, Olypmic-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station:
 Jamsil
Tel: +82 2-3213-4537


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think