Sunday, May 24, 2015

Cafe Tai Lei Loi Kei 大利來記咖啡室 (Macau, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

Some said a trip to Macau is not over until you have laid your hands on a filthy pork chop bun (豬扒包). We decided to get this over with on our first day at one of the top places for Macau-style pork chop buns - Tai Lei Loi Kei (大利來記咖啡室). But with rain pouring heavily all day, we were too lazy to visit their original shop in Taipa Village and instead went with their little counter at The Venetian Macao Resort Hotel.

 

MOP$55 is certainly not cheap for a pork chop bun. Let's see if it's worth that hefty price tag. Hm.....the piece of pork chop was decent but the bun was not nearly crispy enough. My verdict: not worth MOP$55. Maybe half price yes.



Service was pretty lousy, as one would expect from these traditional cafes. I was asking for some plastic cutleries and the cashier was quick to point out that pork buns are supposed to be eaten with bare hands. Of course that wasn't enough to convince me to stay away from trouble. You can ask me to pay for cutleries but do not tell me what to do with my food, okay! So as I refused to go away empty handed, she continued to come yelling from her counter and kept pointing at a photo on the backdrop - with a lady (possibly the owner) eating hers with her bare hands. That didn't matter as I do not know this lady personally so who cares what she does with her pork chop bun. This dragged on for a few minutes and at the end, I finally got my cutleries which happened to come free. Another classic example of persistence paying off!





Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 2620, 2/F, The Grand Canal Shoppes, The Venetian Macao Resort Hotel, Estrada do Istmo, Coloane-Taipa, Macau
Tel: +853 2886-6819



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think