Thursday, June 29, 2023

Luet Fat Restaurant Kowloon City 聯發茶餐廳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Back in April, I promised myself I'd come back to the old neighborhood of Kowloon City for a stroll. Today, I finally managed to keep that promise. I figured I should pick one of these traditional cha chaan tengs to sit down and have a quick tea break. There were quite a number of them in the area so I was having a hard time pulling the trigger. But once I bumped into Luet Fat Restaurant (聯發茶餐廳) on Hau Wong Road, it was the end of my search.



The name Luet Fat brought back a lot of memories from my childhood. We used to live in an area where there was only one cha chaan teng in the proximity. It was a two-storey one called Luet Fat with a small bakery shop on the ground floor and tiny little tea restaurant on the mezzanine floor. I love going to tea restaurant as a kid (and still do now!) but dad doesn't want us to eat outside that often so we had to wait for our chances. Every time when dad brought us there for breakfast, it's like a special treat for me and my sister. It brought a smile on my face every time. That was my little story about Luet Fat which I believed had no connection what-so-ever with this one in Kowloon City. Anyways....  



Turned out this was more than just any cha chaan teng. They had some modern dishes/snacks like this one, deep-fried luncheon meat served with a beurre blanc dip.


And I got to come back for these clay pot rice some other time! I love anything with Chinese sausages.



But today, I needed something sweet so first up, a cup of hot pantyhose milk tea for my caffeine fix. The tea here was pretty strong and fragrant. And look at the sugar container. I thought they were all gone by now.



As much as I like to try the deep-fried luncheon meat, I went with this French toast instead. It came sizzling hot which was perfect to go with the melting butter.



As usual, I sliced it into nine equal pieces and dipped them into the maple syrup one by one. This wasn't bad but if the crust was a little more eggy, even better.







Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1, G/F, 2-4 Hau Wong Road, Kowloon City, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Sung Wong Toi
Tel: +852 2718-8832
Opening Hours: 7:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think