Sunday, November 21, 2021

Minimal 迷你毛 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

We were in Sham Shui Po early getting little nugget's choir uniform. It's on an unfamiliar side (for me) of the neighborhood where I've never been before so I did what I usually do when I visit a new area, I checked it out on the map including where we could go for lunch right after.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong

Minimal (迷你毛) is a neighborhood coffee shop and dessert cafe all under one roof. It's sandwiched between a number of courier companies and automobile repair shops but with its sleek design, it's not difficult to find.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong

They have a no-reservation policy for lunch but since we got there early, there was no problem for us getting a table.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong

Egg benedict with smoked salmon ($95) – I'm not forgetting that it's really brunch for me as I haven't got anything to eat all morning. 

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Egg benedict with smoked salmon

This was just perfect. The well-executed soft-boiled egg and Hollandaise sauce served on top of the pillowy waffle. I won't mind the fibre from the small garden green too. 

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Egg benedict with smoked salmon

Linguine carbonara, pancetta, parmesan, egg ($95) – A simple carbonara with parmesan and pancetta already made the kids very very happy. 

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Linguine carbonara, pancetta, parmesan, egg

Orecchiette, porcini, mushrooms ($95)  They have a spicy version with pork but since the kids don't eat spicy, we opted for the vegetarian, non-spicy one with porcini instead. I thought the pasta was a small chewy but the assorted mushrooms which were slightly soaky really balanced things out a bit.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Orecchiette, porcini, mushrooms

Fresh pappardelle, scallops, lumpfish caviar, lobster sauce ($138) – Our last pasta dish was their homemade pappardelle topped with pan-seared Hokkaido scallops and lumpfish caviar. Little nugget's eyes immediately lit up when he saw the size of those scallops.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Fresh pappardelle, scallops, lumpfish caviar, lobster sauce

I thought the pasta was really well cooked this afternoon (a little unexpected from a small cafe in Sham Shui Po). Perfectly al dente and the dish wasn't soupy like some of the other places in town.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Fresh pappardelle, scallops, lumpfish caviar, lobster sauce

I have my eyes on their tiramisu so I left some extra room in my stomach while enjoying the pasta and good thing I did cuz this was seriously good.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Tiramisu

For a small cafe of its size, it sure offers a very nice collection of desserts including French toast, cheesecake, mille-feuille, yuzu lemon tart and of course their signature apple crumble (that comes with a modern twist) but I had my sight set on their tiramisu ($72) the whole time.

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Tiramisu

Creamy mascarpone, kahlua, cocoa crumble and if I am not mistaken, some almond dacquoise on the bottom for some lovely crunch. I won't mind coming back again just for this baby!

Minimal(迷你毛) sham shui po best dessert cafe coffee shop renaissance kowloon Hong Kong - Tiramisu





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 121-123 Apliu Street, Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Sham Shui Po
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 9:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think