Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Igloo Dessert Bar (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After my three-Michelin starred lunch at Caprice, I took a slow and deliberate walk towards the Star Ferry Terminal in Central. It's nice to take a rare day off during the week. The crowd is noticeably smaller in the middle of the week so I can truly enjoy enjoy my walk without the trouble of being pushed around by the weekend crowd.




It's been a while since I last came here. I remember as a kid, my dad used to bring me here a lot taking ferries between Central and Tsim Sha Tsui (the terminal used to be in a different location). That's how I spent my summer days. How time flies. Now, it's my turn to bring my little one here to experience this small part of history left from the Old Hong Kong.



Of course, I have another mission at Central Ferry Pier 7 (Star Ferry) this afternoon - to check out the legendary White Rabbit Candy ice-cream at Igloo Dessert Bar.




For those who knows nothing about "White Rabbit Candy" (大白兔奶糖), it's a milk toffee candy wrapped with edible rice paper that used to be highly popular around the 1970's. Originated from the ABC Candy Factory of Shanghai in 1943, the brand has become an iconic sweets for children in Asian countries including Hong Kong thanks to its creamy and milky flavor.



When I first heard about Igloo Dessert Bar's White Rabbit Candy flavored ice-cream, I wasn't all that interested but since I'm in a nostalgic mood, I decided to drop by and give it a try.



Igloo Dessert Bar's artisanal ice-cream comes in all kinds of interesting flavors and some are inspired by local flavors such as White Rabbit Candy and Horlick. Despite a number of intriguing flavors, there's no chance I'm leaving the ice-cream shop without a scoop of their White Rabbit Candy flavored ice-cream.




It does taste a lot like White Rabbit Candy right from my first lick. I agree with some food bloggers that the flavors are a little too mild but it's definitely worth a try for old time's sake.



Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$
Address: Shop C, Lower Deck, Pier 7 Star Ferry, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2656-3318


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think