Saturday, June 1, 2019

Pearl Delights 明珠閣 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

I have to admit, I know very little about JC Group, the folks behind Harlan's, Inakaya (田舍家) and Le 39V so I had no idea our lunch venue today happens to be one of their restaurants. If my memory serves me correctly, I only remembered vaguely that they used to be called Pearl Dining House (明珠小館) but they changed their name just after my first visit (it was at The One in Tsim Sha Tsui at the time) to Pearl Delights (明珠閣). Since we only come to New Town Plaza once a year, I'm going to make this count.

Teppan barbecued pork (鐵板叉燒皇) ($78) - One of the signature dishes here and the first dish to arrive. I don't know any other way to put it but the barbecued pork was just terrible. The pork itself was very soft, in my opinion way too soft and it didn't have that melt-in-the-mouth texture that we all love. And even with the honey sauce, it was really bland. Tough start.



Roasted baby pigeon (脆皮沙田乳鴿) ($62) - Surprisingly meaty and delicious. Love the crispy skin which was right on the money.



Steamed rice roll with diced barbecued pork (叉燒腸粉) ($46) - Just decent.



Crab roe and quail egg dumplings (蟹籽鵪鶉蛋燒賣) ($40) - Not many Chinese restaurants offer this dim sum anymore so I always order it when I get the chance. Pretty nice.



Steamed vegetarian puff (羅漢齋福袋) ($36) - A vegetarian dish with the bean curd serving as the wrapper here. The diced vegetables and mushrooms inside were a little bland but I have been cutting down on my consumption of salt and pepper so that worked out for me beautifully.



Pan-fried purple sweet potato cake (香煎紫薯糕) ($38) - Haven't seen this dish anywhere else before. Pretty interesting (chewy) bite from the purple sweet potato.



Fried flat rice noodles with Angus beef (手切安格斯乾炒牛河) ($102) - Another popular dish here along with the barbecued pork and just like the char siu, it was a complete nightmare. The rice noodles had absolutely no "wok hei" and the so-called Angus beef was so rubbery that it felt like chewing gums.



Steamed rice with chicken feet and spare ribs (豉椒鳳爪排骨原盅蒸飯) ($28) - For $28, I wasn't complaining much here.



Steamed bun with egg yolk custard (小熊奶皇流沙包) ($42) - I ordered this mainly for my little nugget and surprisingly, it was all the adults that were giving the raving reviews.



The bun was spongy enough but look at that runny egg yolk custard. Just lovely.



Black sesame sweet rolls (菲林芝麻卷) ($32) - Dessert turned out to be a lot better than the dim sum and savory dishes. The traditional black sesame rolls are always my personal favorites. Very nice and rich black sesame flavors.



Mango puree and sago pomelo pudding (楊枝甘露糕) ($32) - Pudding made with mango sago pomelo cream just like the dessert soup. I think I tasted some coconut milk there as well.



Things got a little better after the BBQ pork and stir-fried flat noodles with "Angus beef" but I just expected a lot more out of this kitchen.

Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 127, New Town Plaza Phase 1, 18 Sha Tin Centre Street, Sha Tin, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Train Station: Shatin
Tel: +852 2681-2200


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think