Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Ling Fat Chiu Chow Congee 陵發潮州白粥 (Hong Kong) ★★★☆☆

I am meeting some of my childhood friends tonight and it's only fitting that we pick a restaurant in an area we all grew up in - Prince Edward. It's been more than three decades since we (famously called The Four Scholars (四大才子) in our primary school) last met (yes, you read that right - 30 years!). In fact, our last meeting was at my house on the same day I departed for Canada to start my new life.

Last night, I dug out some old pictures we've taken together. We were just kids back then and now we were all past that mid-way point of our respective lives. Some of us are now parents, some just started the married life but one thing is constant. We belong to each other's history and we shared some really fond memories together. Yes, our innocence may have been long gone by now but deep down, I think we are still those same kids at heart. 

Right before I went to our dinner venue, Ling Fat Chiu Chow Congee (陵發潮州白粥), I spent some time checking out the neighborhood that I was once quite familiar with. My grandma, aunts and uncles all used to live here at one point. As kids, I played a bit of ball here at this playground with my cousins. How time flies. 



I was a little nervous when I arrived at Ling Fat (which by the way has a pretty good reputation as an old-school chiu-chow restaurant) tonight. Yes, we have all managed to keep in touch using our social media but there was still this moment where I wondered if we would recognize each other (in person).

All of us arrived right on time and guess what, we all recognized each other without much of a problem. I thought we were going to have some dead air but not at all. In fact, it was just like good old time. 



Oyster congee with minced pork (蠔仔肉碎粥) - I have to give my friend credit for picking this place coz their signature oyster congee is really as good as advertised. The oysters were fresh and creamy.



Pig's blood with fresh chives (韭菜豬紅) - Very tasty and love the spicy kick from the chili oil. Couldn't stop eating them.



Marinated goose (滷水鵝) - Very generous portion and it came with the usual bed of tofu and peanuts underneath. As a house specialty, I was kind of expecting more but this wasn't bad (not as delicious as the first two dishes for sure).



Unfortunately, we were all too busy chatting that we forgot to order their oyster omelette (煎蠔餅), which was supposed to be their special signature dish that ranked above all of their house specialties. Maybe next time...

Well, all of us agreed that we shouldn't wait another three decades for our next gathering. I tend to agree that we should at least get together once a year. 




Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 625-627 Reclamation Street, Prince Edward, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Prince Edward
Tel: +852 6440-7169


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think