Saturday, November 5, 2016

新宿牡蠣入レ時 (Tokyo, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

As it's often the case when I'm spending my first night in Tokyo, I never want to call it the night!!! Like an energizer bunny, I spent the past 4 to 5 hours strolling around the busy streets of Shinjuku. I did make a couple of stops for food and dessert but I tried to make them short in order to carve out enough time for the rest of the stuff. Finally, I'm done and it's time for more food.

牡蠣入レ時 is an oyster specialty izakaya chain that has a number of branches across Tokyo. Their Shinjuku outpost is located in an alley, just a stone's throw from NEWoman shopping mall. This looks like the perfect spot for my late-night snacks!



I won't call this hole-in-the-wall but it's pretty darn close if you look close enough. But at this hour, all I care about is getting something hot into my stomach and wash them all down with a cold craft beer!



No English menu, no problem! It's amazing to live in this day and age where technology is capable of solving almost any problem in our daily lives. In this case, I just brought out my phone and started flipping pictures after pictures of food from Tabelog (Japan's largest restaurant review website) and placing order was like a breeze despite the language barrier.

Deep fried tuna - My only non-oyster dish of the night. The batter was really nice and flaky but the tuna was a little stringy in the middle.



Deep fried oysters (900yen for 5) - If I've read it correctly, these oysters were supposed to be from Nagasaki (長崎) where they produce some of the best oysters in Japan. These ones were a little small in size but pretty tasty with a nice crunchy batter.



Baked oysters (300yen each) - One of the most popular dish around here. These ones were a little sweeter than the deep fried version and I love the fact that there's still some sea water flavor coming out of these.



This was done in less than half an hour. Now that I'm half drunk, it's time to go back to the hotel and crash.







Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ¥¥
Address: 4 Chome-2-8 Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Shinjuku / Shinsen-Shinjuku
Tel: +81 050-5571-0504


y 

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think