Sunday, May 14, 2023

Kitchen at W Hotel Hong Kong (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I did a poll with the relevant moms before Mother's Day to get their views on where they wanted to have the celebration lunch. Everybody seemed to be leaning towards having Sunday brunch. I knew this wasn't going to be cheap so when the reservation team from W Hotel Hong Kong told me about their last-minute price hike (from $? to $889), I didn't flinch.



The music was a little lot today but the moms didn't seem to notice.



The lunch buffet at Kitchen, W Hotel Hong Kong has always been consistently good (but not great) over the years. Good as in quality but they have never been overwhelmingly good with variety. Let's go over some of these stations, shall we?

Seafood station with mussels, sea whelks, prawns etc. but the highlights of course belong to the lobster and Tourteau Crab. This is always where I get things started.



Hot Dishes. This is where I think they've upped their game a bit for the occasion. Roasted pigeon with black truffle, scallops, lamb rack, escargots just to name a few.


Sashimi station. Not really drawing a crowd. Not that their sashimi is not tasty or anything; just that the rest of the stations look a little more attractive with their offering.



Dessert station. One of my favorite stations, not for its quality but quantity.



They've got a whole Mont Blanc cake here, ready to be carved open. Mom will be more than happy to do the honor.



To get things started, I am having the poached lobsters, suckling pig and truffled pigeon which were all very delicious. Great start!



Little nugget had a lot on his plate too, scallops, that giant fish maw steak and macarons (so early!?)!



My second round, consisting of lobster (again), baked scallop (which was just average), smoked salmon, baked prawn and same suckling pig I had earlier. The smoked salmon was slightly disappointing. I remembered they used to have some salmon gravlax next to the smoked salmon before but I guess they ran out of spaces this afternoon.



This guy's having dim sum next.



Each diner was presented with an additional lobster, finished from the grill. I picked the finishing with a classic Mornay sauce. Very nice.



Some vegetables to stay healthy.



I had to get my second batch of scallop sashimi cuz they worked so well with the salmon roes! 


Time to dip into the dessert department. Some fruit and macarons, and a slice of decadent salted caramel mousse cake. Look at the size of that caramel mousse. So custardy and so good!


My last rush with more macarons, dark chocolate tart, mille feuille (that wasn't very good, especially the puff pastry). Of course, another slice of salted caramel mousse cake. I gotta have one final piece before I go.....😆😆😆 


Every mom gets to leave with a gorgeous-looking lychee and white chocolate mousse cake. A very nice gesture by the team here.


The total damage was significant but seeing how all the moms reacted and fully enjoyed the meal, it was money well-spent. Now, I am curious to see what Jelloman has up her sleeves for Father's Day.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 6/F, W Hong Kong, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 3717-2299
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think