Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Roganic (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I promised myself I'd go back to Roganic for another meal before they raise their price in August but so far things have not worked out well for me. In my latest attempt last week, I almost pulled it off on my afternoon-off but only to miss their last order by the narrowest margin. So instead, I went to Gaddi's which wasn't a bad replacement to have on any given day.


Today, I had to make sure that I arrived right on time after my medical appointment nearby.



They showed me my place at the counter table which wasn't all that surprising considering that I was the only solo diner in the house. I have always wanted to sit here so that worked out well!



A4 wagyu, roast onion, seaweed and caviar 
– My amuse bouche was delicious A4 wagyu tartare served in a seaweed crust with toppings of roasted onion and caviar. There were some smoky flavors in there (I thought from the wagyu) that made it very interesting.


Chawanmushi, tendon, legumes, kohlrabi – Every restaurant in town seems to be doing something with green peas these days and such was the case at Roganic this afternoon. Meet my starter, a Japanese-style steamed egg custard nicely topped with tendon, legumes, kohlrabi but the key was really the local green peas.


The sweetness and crunchiness of the peas really meshed well with the textures of the other ingredients.


Soda bread with brown cultured English butter – As usual, they serve up Roganic's signature soda bread right before the main course arrives.


Three-yellow chicken, maitake mushroom and white mushroom – I had a little too much seafood of late so I decided to have chicken instead of sea bass as my main dish.

The beautifully slow-cooked three-yellow chicken fillet was so tender and succulent, with the super tangy sauce made with the chicken's own jus adding to its flavors.


I thought the miso-cooked maitake mushroom had really great texture and the white mushroom purée which came with some deep flavors served well as a dip for the chicken.


Black tea custard tart with condensed milk ice-cream – A clever play on the local cha chaan teng favorite, iced milk tea. I had this on my last visit as well.


The black tea custard tart came with a glaze reminiscent of the caramel glaze we usually get from our crème brûlée and it was finished off with a milky condensed milk ice-cream just like we were having tea.







Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 8, UG/F, Sino Plaza, 255 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 2817-8383
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:30pm (Tue - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think