Sunday, June 13, 2021

Wing Chung Siu Mei Dai Pai Dong 榮忠燒味大排檔 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

Just before my little nugget was born 6 years ago, I officially retired from a lot of things in order to free up my time to be spent with the family. One of those things was playing mahjong with my friends and over the years, I never looked back. 

But this long weekend saw me officially come out of my retirement for a casual game of MJ. My opponents are my usual MJ legs from Vancouver and some of us were already saying that this will be a dressed rehearsal for things to come when one day, we decide to go back for good.

We were meeting at our friend's house but right before the game, I decided to meet up with Hanger Jack for a quick breakfast first. He arrived early and already picked our venue at Wing Chung Siu Mei Dai Pai Dong (榮忠燒味大排檔), a dai pai dong style cafe that both of us have never had the pleasure of visiting before.


The toast and fried eggs were quite decent, in par with what's been offered around town. Less successful was the milk tea which was not nearly silky enough though I would stop short of saying that it tasted like mud water (坑渠水).


Macaroni with ham, another tea restaurant classic. I thought the soup was a bit too intense.



While the food was exactly what we have expected from an average cha chaan teng (local tea restaurant), I thought the vibe, or venue whatever you call it, left something to be desired. In a world of social distancing, we were sitting way too close to other tables and to rub more salt to the wound, the hygiene conditions were horrible. In fact, the place stinks!





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 9, G/F, Parker33, 33 Shing On Street, Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Sai Wan Ho
Tel: +852 3108-9999
Opening Hours: 7:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think