Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been a while since I last visited The Pawn, one of my go-to restaurants in Wanchai (for my quick meals). I was pleasantly surprised how well their business has been of late. With their dining room fully occupied, I was offered a table on the terrace.  

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, terrace balcony, Wanchai HK

I haven't sat outdoor for quite some time here so I gladly took the offer. 

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, terrace balcony, Wanchai HK

On a humid day like this, I was lucky enough to be sitting next to this giant fan. 

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, terrace balcony, Wanchai HK

I was able to enjoy a very nice view over Johnston Road and Southorn Park right from my table.


Like I said, I always come here for my quick meals in Wanchai cuz their kitchen does their work pretty efficiently. Just a few minutes after I placed my order, here comes my salad with poached prawns, cherry tomatoes and pine nuts. I have asked them not to mix in the yuzu vinaigrette and they did exactly that (they actually serve me olive oil on the side instead). 

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, Wanchai HK, salad poached prawns, cherry tomatoes

For my main dish, I elected to have scorched salmon with pesto risotto and sun-dried tomatoes.

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, Wanchai HK, scorched salmon with pesto risotto and sun-dried tomatoes

By scorched salmon, I thought they meant a thick slab of salmon fillet that was charred but I certainly didn't expect these thin slices of salmon!

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, Wanchai HK, scorched salmon with pesto risotto and sun-dried tomatoes

The pesto risotto was actually pretty decent, meshing well with the acidity from the sun-dried tomatoes. But yeah, I definitely would like a little more salmon to go with my risotto.

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, Wanchai HK, scorched salmon with pesto risotto and sun-dried tomatoes

With their quick work, I was finally afforded time to enjoy a cup of tea.


Dessert was banana cake topped with whipped cream and banana tuile. It was served on a pool of vanilla sauce, that was luckily not too sweet.

The Pawn, British Gastropub restaurant, Wanchai HK, banana cake whipped cream banana tuile, vanilla sauce






Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 2/F, 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 1:00am (Mon - Sat), 11:30am - 1:00am (Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think