Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Simplicity 簡·味 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

I heard about this little restaurant inside Panda Hotel in Tsuen Wan called Simplicity (簡·味) a while ago from a couple of friends. It's about a year new (I think) but I had no real intention to try it out myself. A few weeks ago, I came across its name again while I was going thru the list of participating restaurants for French GourMay 2021. They actually have a menu designed for the festivity. Well, I thought perhaps it's worth a visit?


Simplicity turned out to be a lot bigger than I originally thought. Tables are comfortably spaced from one another. However, problems started creeping up the moment I decided to sit down.

First, they gave me a table right in the middle of the dining area in no-man's land. I asked if I could sit at the corner (it's probably better since I was a solo diner so I could use some privacy) but the server would give me some hard times claiming that I didn't have advance booking (but look at the empty tables!). I guess what she meant was that if you didn't have advance booking, you're doomed to have shitty tables. Instead of the table that was offered to me, I asked for another shitty table but this one at the corner. She reluctantly checked with the hostess to see if it was okay (not happy about me asking for another table obviously). Eventually, I was granted my wish.


As there was no set menu available, I had to dip into the all-day menu but I did like what I saw. A small but nice selection of pasta, risotto, burgers and pizza. I went with this pasta with pan-seared scallop, drizzled in a green sauce made with kale. There was a bitter aftertaste with the pasta thanks to the intense kale sauce but I appreciate the creativity behind the design of the dish.


The sweet potato fries, which came at $48 only, was pretty decent.


Just when I was finishing up my dishes, I saw the same server serving up some iced water to the new customers sitting next to me. Then, I realized my iced water was missing in action. Not that I really needed a drink but I just had to make sure that she knew her table service was lousy, so I waved for her attention and let her know that I didn't have water, which was supposed to be there when I sat down an hour ago. Of course, she really didn't care so she turned away and asked another server to serve up some water for me. I think she's having a tough time keeping up with her work at a hotel restaurant. Perhaps, she's better off working for a cha chaan teng. I'm sure she would fit in rather well.





Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 3/F Panda Hotel, 3 Tsuen Wah Street, Tsuen Wan, NT, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsuen Wan
Tel: +852 2409-3226
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 9:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think