Friday, October 16, 2020

Ramen House Konjiki Hototogisu 金色不如帰 IFC (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Long before I even became a casual fan of Japanese ramen, Ramen House Konjiki Hototogisu (金色不如帰) was already on my radar screen thanks to the ringing endorsement by the folks from the Michelin guide. Founded in Tokyo back in 2006, Konjiki Hototogisu finally got their Michelin star in 2019 (and again in 2020) but even before that lofty achievement, the Michelin folks have always liked them, at least enough to name them a Bib Gourmand Michelin restaurant since 2015. They were one of top ramen shops in Tokyo and were only one of the four to ever garner a star. So, why it took me a year to finally make this pilgrimage trip to its IFC outpost? Well, cuz I'm just a casual fan of Japanese ramen.



But I have to admit, it's already my third Japanese ramen in the last 20 days. Yeah, I'm just playing down my addiction by calling myself a casual fan.


Needless to say, I have to check out their signature Shoyu Hamaguri (clam) soup ramen.



I could smell the umami-rich clam soup as soon as my Shoyu Hamaguri soup ramen landed right in front of me. The ramen bowl was tattooed with a "golden cuckoo" which is exactly what Konjiki Hototogisu translates to in English.


Couldn't wait to try out the broth which is a unique blend of clam, pork bone and Japanese broth (soy sauce-based).


I thought the broth was rich and flavorful but it didn't carry the level of sweetness and umami I expected (from the smell). Unfortunately, I couldn't compare this to what was served at their Shinjuku flagship restaurant cuz I have never been there myself. But from what I've read, people were saying that while the flavors were there, the balance wasn't. I guess I have to find that out myself on my next trip to Tokyo.   

Anyways, this came with buckwheat noodles, pork belly char siu, slow-cooked char siu, leeks, spring onion, porcini flakes, porcini oil and truffle paste. Did I miss anything?


Soft-boiled egg was extra and it was perfect.


The pork belly char siu was pretty good.


The slow-cooked char siu was probably too lean for my liking (Oops, forgot to take a photo of the slow-cooked BBQ pork!).


There was already a great depth of flavors in the broth so I wasn't sure if we still need the black truffle paste and porcini oil in there. Personally, I thought it's doing more harm than good (by overshadowing the flavors of the clam soup).





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 3020, 3/F, IFC Mall, 1 Harbour View Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 6333-8036
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 3:00pm, 5:30pm - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think